Do extremely selective programs limit chances of international exchange?

Maurice Ravel

I was thinking of doing Health Sciences at McMaster University, though I really really really want to do an exchange to either Switzerland or Norway for a year. Since the H.Sc. program is based on group effort and comprised of elite students, wouldn't it make it hard to adapt to when back from Europe?

By the way, I know McMaster U doesn't offer exchange on an undergrad level. There's a Quebec government plan that funds international exchange. That makes it even more precarious because the university itself has not considered a gap and will not arrange for a smooth transition back from exchange.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I just finished my first year in the health sci program at McMaster lol.

Anyways I'm not really sure what you're asking..you mean you want to transfer in as a second year student after doing your exchange in Europe? Or do you mean you're planning on being in the health sci program but you want to do one year of exchange while you're in it?

I just finished my first year in the health sci program at McMaster lol.

Anyways I'm not really sure what you're asking..you mean you want to transfer in as a second year student after doing your exchange in Europe? Or do you mean you're planning on being in the health sci program but you want to do one year of exchange while you're in it?

The latter. I want to do one year of exchange while I'm in it. I'm scared it would be detrimental to my education to miss a year. Especially because the program is very idiosyncratic and selective.

In that case then yeah, I don't believe you're allowed to do exchange while in health sci. Especially in the first 2 years, because Inquiry and Cell biology are both mandatory courses that are the very core of the health sci program and missing one year of them (we take both courses in first and second year) would leave you very far behind.

Just as a general point: students taking courses like medicine and law usually aren't allowed to go on exchanges in university, because they get left far behind and can't study the same course in international universities (even if the course is under the same name, the module and programme structure is almost always different, and universities have different teaching standards). So it's not only the case in Canada, but also in the UK and probably almost all universities. Students on other courses like business, languages, development studies, etc. that are usually more arts-orientated (BA degrees) can go on exhanges. I'm not sure about engineering, some universities might let them go and some might not.

In that case then yeah, I don't believe you're allowed to do exchange while in health sci. Especially in the first 2 years, because Inquiry and Cell biology are both mandatory courses that are the very core of the health sci program and missing one year of them (we take both courses in first and second year) would leave you very far behind.

That's so sad!