SAT Math II is equivalent to IB HL Math?

1-2-3

I looked through a few sample questions from Math II (SATs) are they seem way beyond the SL level.

Is Math II at the same level of difficulty as IB HL Math?

I haven't taken SAT II yet but I know that neither Maths I nor MATHS II has calculus, so I won't say Math II is at the same level of difficulty as IB HL Math. Rather, it has its own syllabus that covers a separate set of subjects. For example, Topics such as Plan Geometry and Solid Geometry are not in Maths II but are not in HL Maths.

You can find a brief outline of the Maths II syllabus here

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/lc_two/math2c/math2c.html?match2c

I'm taking Math SL and I will be taking Math level 2. I've been also recommended to take the SAT Math level 2 so if you're thinking of taking the Math level 2 I think you should be fine.

The SATs are mainly for kids taking the AP so the syllabus will be completely different.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm doing Maths HL and am taking the Maths II Subject Test. Maths HL goes way beyond most of the stuff on it, but the SAT requires you to think in different ways that you're made to think in Maths HL. Make sure you know the fastest and most efficient ways of finding solutions. Also, make sure you've covered all the necessary material in class. I remember taking a practice test before we'd started complex numbers, so I didn't know 1 or 2 of the questions.

• Like 1

Definitely not, I don't think that SAT Math II is equivalent to IB Math HL.

If you're in Math SL and are a good math student, then Math II would actually be a good decision to make, because even though there are a few more topics to learn, SAT does not require in depth knowledge about them, and Math II is a LOT more forgiving than Math I (I think that in Math II you can get like 5 questions wrong and still get an 800). If you're in Math HL then you already know almost everything you need to know for Math II. Of course, there are still a few topics that need to be revised that aren't done in depth in Math HL, in particular graphs and functions, since Math II likes including a lot of questions on circular, hyperbolic, even and odd functions (and some others that I can't remember), which aren't really mentioned in the Math HL syllabus. But still, Math II is not equivalent to Math HL, it is probably somewhere in the middle between Math SL and HL.

However, as CocoPop said, the SAT requires you to think in different ways than what you learn in IB Math. In Math HL you learn to develop 15 point questions that are divided into about 3 to 5 parts. In the SAT you need to answer multiple choice 1 point questions as fast as possible, so instead of going through a whole process to develop a question until you find the answer, in SAT you need to find the most efficient and fastest way to get to the answer.

• Like 1

Just to add my own input, I've heard that Math II on the SATIIs is relatively easy, period. Relatively as in compared to the other SAT subject areas, it requires a lot less studying for most people. I'm doing Math SL for IB, and you really don't need calculus for the MathII, but you do need to understand the concept of limits. I'm taking the MathII, Chem, and Physics in June, and I'll be allocating a lot less time for math than for the other subjects, if that helps.

This site is pretty amazing if you don't have a prep book: http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/math2c/

One warning: The structures of all SATIIs are different than SATIs and other standardized tests. Make sure you're familiar with them :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

[size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]The Two syllabi aren't comparable!

However as a Math HL student you know most of the concepts covered by Sat II Math Level 2. There are certain concepts that are beyond the syllabus (not too difficult) such as conic sections.

I would recommend using a good book like Princeton Review, Kaplan or Barrons (questions in Barrons are tougher than the actual test so can be a little de motivating!)..... You can easily cover all concepts required for the SAT Test.

Hope This helps!

abindia :D[/font][/size]

• Like 1