Psych experiment evaluation points?

livv

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for evaluating experiments when it comes to writing essays in the exam? I can write an essay get most points in, but all the notes I have are seriously lacking in evaluation. The only things I manage to get down myself usually are ethical considerations :) And cultural considerations.

Any help is appreciated. :D Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

When i'm evaluating a study in a psych essay, I do this -

Look at GEMS considerations (Gender/Ethical/Methodological/Social(or Cultural)), and where possible, make sure you add the considerations for these, and what these mean for the reliability and validity of the study.

In a psychology essay you are using studies to back up and explain the point you are making, so these considerations are necessary in evaluating the study, which I would say is the backbone of your essay.

I hope that helps :)

• 1 month later...

For different studies I remembered criticisms for each one...usually methodological. Have you tried considering methodological limitations? Is the study ecologically valid? If it were done in a lab then it would have ecological validity issues. Also, is the sample representative? Were the participants used representative of the general population? How rigorous was the scientific method?
If you are in Psych HL you will go into methodology with much more depth. This will really help with evaluating methodological issues later on! If you're SL, do a little research on the strengths and weaknesses of various data collection methods (lab, observation, and so on). You're supposed to know it anyway for SL...just for HL they go into more depth. Anyway, it'll be useful to know. www.cranepsych.com can give you a few good pointers too.
Hope that helps!

there are various things that are important in a good evaluation (generally strengths and limitations of a study):
1) Methodology (this can also cover some ethical issues, strengths & limitations of various research methods)
2) Ethical Issues
3) Cultural considerations
4) Is the study longitudinally valid, cross culturally valid etc. (validity and reliability)
5) Ecological Validity
6) Use of Participants (diversity etc.)

As mentioned earlier, cranepsych.com has a lot of good advice about how to write the psychology exam.