Some problems with my university offers.

benitt

So, I am starting to get a little bit stressed. Because I have some few problems:

a) I just realised that my teacher had to register me in something on the ibnet so my grades get directly to the universities where I want to study and the deadline was on the 5th of May or something like that = 1st Problem.

b)Manchester is my firm offer for Politics and International Relations and it asks me for 35 points and not less than a 5 in any subject.. and well,... I crashed on my maths SL exam :) ( I think I will get a 3 )= HUGE PROBLEM

c)I have taken two pre-university courses: the Spanish Baccaulareate and IB. I have just received offers based on my IB results so I was wondering if I should send an email to Manchester asking ("suggesting") for an offer based on my spanish results. However my spanish results are not so good. I might have a 9 in English, 8 in Economy, 8 in Philosophy, 7-8 Geography and a 7 in History of Spain ( I don't think they might be interesed on that subject)all of them out of 10. Or may be I should ask them for some kind of leniency . What do you think I should do?

d)Then, if I do not enter in Manchester I will go to Essex to study IR. But it has just come to my mind that I could try to change the course to PPE because IR might be a little simple or I don't know.

So, feel free to suggest and to give your opinion because I'm so screwed up.

Even if you do get less than 35 points on your final results, or less than a 5 in Math, you can still call up Manchester on July 6th when you get your results and ask them if they are willing to consider taking you with the ponits you did get. You have to call them up that day, before they change your status on UCAS to "Unsuccessful", and it has to be you who calls them up and not your mother/school counselor as that shows that you are afraid/not serious about getting the place. Be aware that there are more university applications this year than ever, and Manchester may say no even if you missed your offer by one point. If they do, there is nothing you can do about it.

If Manchester does not take you, you are committed to going to Essex. You are not allowed to decline your insurance and go on to Clearing. In English universities it can be hard to change courses; your best bet would probably be to either call Essex up after your offer with them is confirmed and ask them if it possible to change courses at that point; they may tell you that they have to wait until A-Level results come out, which will be in the middle of August. Or you could wait until you actually start university and try to change courses then; it may be useful to look at Essex's website, as some universities have sections on changing courses on there, with restrictions and limitations. You cannot usually switch to courses that require higher entrance grades (such as law and medicine), so you need to check if PPE has higher asking grades, in which case you may not be able to take it.

Changing courses to PPE from IR may not help you much, since Bachelor of the Arts degrees generally speaking don't provide entry to a particular career. And in order to study PPE (which involves Economics), you generally need a high level of Math. If you don't get high points in Math SL, you may not be able to take PPE.

As for your Spanish Baccalaureate, if you do not get what you needed for your offer, you can try telling Manchester the grades that you achieved for you Spanish Bac and seeing if that compensates for the grades you didn't get.

I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about your teacher not having submitted your universities names to the IB. Your teacher should be trying to fix the problem. I don't know if the universities will accept your grades unless they are sent to them directly by the IB.