Macbeth

spaceisland

Hi... I've decided to focus on the theme of equivocation, and Shakespeare's imagery regarding "foul and fair" and darkness. I'd planned on writing about how the darkness is found in evil, and how it the lack of light masks immorality. I've started my essay and outline, but I'm now wondering if my chosen themes and imagery are related enough, and I'm experiencing a bit of confusion about how the foul and fair comes alive in imagery.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Sorry.. This is my first real commentary, and I'm a bit confused.

Edited by spaceisland

Well you could consider:

- The witches. They meet in darkness, in thunder, lightning and rain. Can they be considered evil? Consider their conversation of their second meeting about the sailor and his wife. Are they considered evil in Shakespeare's time?

- So foul and fair a day I've ever seen - what Banquo said. It's a foul day because of the weather but a fair day because they've won the battle. However, it's also foul because they're going to meet the witches in a moment who gives Macbeth the whole prophecy

- All the crimes happen in darkness

- All the guilt comes to root in darkness/night - ghost scene, sleepwalking scene

- Another point, people often say that the Macbeth tragedy happened because of the witches giving Macbeth the prophecy, thus fulfilling it. Then this whole tragedy - it's foul for Macbeth but perhaps achieve exactly what the witches want - thus it's "fair" for them. (Not fair as in just, fair as in good).

Thanks. =D I wound up changing my mind once again in the past few hours, and I'm thinking it's working good now. I decided to change from the theme of equivocation to one that seemed more concrete to me: "the corruption of man and contagiousness of evil", and how it transformed Macbeth, and about how images of darkness help to advance the aforementioned... I was having a hard time find a theme and element of imagery that worked together, but hopefully this will work. I'm about 750 words in now, so fingers crossed.

• 4 months later...

Symbols is a huge topic, such as blood, and the weather. Blood symbolizes the guilt that sits like a permanent stain on the consciences of both Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, one that hounds them to their graves. From the thunder and lightning that accompany the witches’ appearances to the terrible storms that rage on the night of Duncan’s murder, these violations of the natural order reflect corruption in the moral and political orders.

I've never actually studied Macbeth, but I did perform in it last year with a local Shakespeare troupe. I remembered a specific quote from the Witches ("Fair is foul and foul is fair") but couldn't remember the Act it was in, so I googled it and ended up stumbling across this site that might help:

http://www.clicknotes.com/macbeth/Fairandf.html

It doesn't give much in-depth analysis, but it certainly has a lot of good quotes that should make it easier for you to expand on the theme of fair/foul. Like I said, there's not a lot of analysis, but I think that's a good thing because it leaves you with room to discuss and interpret the quotes on your own terms. :)

• 2 weeks later...