english WL1

I'm a bit confused , because my teacher said that we should use extra books , for our would lit essay and not just the books we compare ( in my case "metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka and "the outsider " by Albert Camus). He means for example :analysis by other academics about the books and so on.

I just want to know whether my teacher is the only one who wants that , or if it's a necessary thing , in order get a good mark .

Using academic textbooks can be useful, but you have to be careful to have enough of your own ideas in your WL. If it's all full of ideas that are footnoted and belong to someone else, there's no originak thought in it. What I would suggest is first writing your WL, and coming up with as many ideas as possible on your own. After that, you can look at other people's opinions and if they have any ideas you may have missed out. That way, even if some academic has exactly the same ideas as you, but you thought of them on your own and in your own words, then you don't have to reference them. But if they have something that you want to add, such as an elaboration on one idea, then that should be referenced with a footnote and included in your bibliography.

Personally i feel it should be written like a paper 2 english essay conparing and contrasting both texts. thus i don't see the need for extra books outside the two novels you are using but then again if you did research and found ideas/analysis from other sources you need to list them of course. but such research is not necessary