[Chemistry]Option B-Human Biochemistry

Mahuta ♥

I am self-studying option B, Human Biochemistry. I have found it ok so far as it overlaps a lot with HL Biology.

However, I'm getting stuck in certain things on the syllabus that the books I have dont explain properly or unclear.

So I have a few questions, that I think those of you who have done it with your teacher may be able to answer.

B.6.2: Compare the structures of cholesterol and the sex hormones:

It says stress on the steroid backbone and the difference in functional group. That's all the books mention as well. Seeing that its objective 3, I dont have enough details and I dont really see any other difference.

B.7.2: Compare inorganic catalysts and biological catalysts:

I don't really know..and couldn't find out why. :(

B.7.4:

I get the Vmax thingie but not quite the Km constant. Also, what do the mean when they determine the Vmax and the value of Km by graphical means and explain its significance?

That's it for now.

If you're here to seek help as well, ask away. :(

Thank you so much, very much appreciated.

On the B.6.2 one, I just did a question on that from M01 or something, and all you had to comment on were things like, the functional groups, where the double bonds were, and such. It was pretty straight forward, according to the mark scheme. I'm not entirely sure if that's all there is to it (although P3 questions tend to be quite repetitive), so it wouldn't hurt if if anyone else has something to add.

B.7.2: I don't think inorganic catalysts can denaturate, so that's a pretty big difference.

B.7.4: Can't help you here, I don't understand it very well either. The only thing I remember is that Km is inversely proportional to the enzyme activity, i.e. the lower Km, the more efficient the enzyme is.

Hope this helped a little at least, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by ozolins