Develops

Exemplify

Stresses

Underlines

Exaggerates

Depicts

Examines

Describes

Nah, they're just useful things you can bring in :)

You should mention at least some literary devices/features. Even if it's just metaphors/similes etc. As for the other verbs, they're just good ways to more on or explain how something has the effect it does.

IMO the minimum of things you should be familiar with, features-wise:

Onomatopoeia (things sounding like they're written)

Assonance (repeated vowel sound, eg soft socks)

Oxymoron (two opposite together, eg shouting silently)

Enjambment (in poetry where two lines run onto each other without a break in meaning or punctuation)

Caesura (where you have a full stop in the middle of a line of poetry)

Alliteration (several words starting with the same letter eg. flat frogs flibble flibble all start with f :))

Pathetic fallacy (the environment mimics the mood... so if people are arguing, there might be a storm, or if people are lost or remembering, mist outside etc.)

Juxtaposition (two things put next to each other such that the contrast between them brings out effect)

Simile (something being described like something else)

Metaphor (something being described as being like something else, only nobody put the 'like' in, so it's actually described as if it were the something else)

Personification (non-human things being given emotions/general human characteristics/intentions)

If you know all of those, everything else is kinda a flashy extra :) A lot of it is just terminology for what you'd describe in other words anyway, so a basic core terminology which is 100% to come up is more or less all you need to succeed. The rest is bonus :)

The second list is basically fancy words for "shows", since you can't say "this shows" in every sentence. And I don't know everything in the first list either. The most important things, in addition to what Sandwich said, are tone, mood, structure and rhyme.

Only certain poems contain things like Biblical allusion, and most people wouldn't pick up on them anyways unless they're avid readers of the Bible. If there's a poem/prose text with a metaphor/allusion that is very important to understanding it, the IB includes a footnote to explain it. For example, I read a prose text that referred to Icarus, and the IB didn't assume that everyone knew who Icarus was so they wrote something like "According to myth, Icarus was the son of ...., who built wings made of candle wax and feathers for them both to escape from.... Icarus flew too close to the sun and the wax on his wings melted. He fell out of the sky and died".

Hey, is it illegal to scan a couple of pages from the revision guide and post them here? Because I have the revision guide, and there's a really useful section at the back with pretty much all the literary features we need to know - I could post it here but obviously I wouldn't want to do anything illegal - do copy right laws apply only for the whole works, or is it okay to reproduce certain parts freely? Because if it's legal I think those pages would be really useful to everyone in english A1

Edited by aya91

Hey, is it illegal to scan a couple of pages from the revision guide and post them here? Because I have the revision guide, and there's a really useful section at the back with pretty much all the literary features we need to know - I could post it here but obviously I wouldn't want to do anything illegal - do copy right laws apply only for the whole works, or is it okay to reproduce certain parts freely? Because if it's legal I think those pages would be really useful to everyone in english A1

I believe so, as it's copyrighted material - anybody is free to correct me, though.