Has anyone read Like Water For chocolate

eankeel

Hey Guys,

I am doing a practise IOP on LIke water for chocolate and I am going to answer this question I created: "To what extent is Mama Elena's violence and cruelty towards Tita due to her own forbidden love?"

First I am going to say why it is by saying that Mama Elena's own experience had made her bitter and because she didn't get what she wanted she is making Tita experience the same using the family tradition as an excuse. As a result of her experience, it has made her reject love, nourishment of others because she doesn't want to experience losing a loved one again.

However,

Mama Elena's cruelty and violence is not primary due to her own experience because it is also because of her authoritative and dictatorship nature. She likes to be in control and to affirm her control and the daughter and mother hierarchy between Tita and her. By being violent and cruel towards others she is able to hide her own weakness and her invulnerability being a woman. She is made to seem stronger.

do you guys have any opinion (key point missed) about this please help?

I like your thoughts, but I'm confused by your last line

"By being violent and cruel towards others she is able to hide her own weakness and her invulnerability being a woman. She is made to seem stronger."

Are you saying that she trying to hide her vulnerability? I think I understand what you're saying, but the way you say it seems like you're degrading women. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong?

I'd just add something about the irony of the situation. You said Mama Elena is trying to take out her feelings of bitterness on Tita by subjecting Tita to a loveless life. I don't think Mama Elena is doing it on purpose. I think that M. E. feels like she has the right to be taken care of. Yeah, that's pretty arrogant, but it's so much easier to go with tradition than to question it.