World Lit.

Alfabeta

Hello

I am going to wirte my first world lit next week, and I was woundering if you could help me being creativ. I was thinking of this as my topic , "How is magical realism used to promote women in the novels House of the spirits and Like water for chocolate?"

I need some examples , and whatever you might think can help a poor A1 student

Cheers

Alfabeta particles

Hi!

I haven't read House of the Spirits but I can give some help on Like Water For Chocolate. But first, what exactly do you mean by 'promoting women'? Is it more like in representing women? I think that it deals most directly with Tita in the novel, whilst ridiculing other women like Rosaura to an extent. Tita's sexuality, emotions are nature are showcased through the use of magical realism e.g. with the Quail in Rose Petal sauce.

I think at the moment your topic is just a little bit unclear.

Hello

I am going to wirte my first world lit next week, and I was woundering if you could help me being creativ. I was thinking of this as my topic , "How is magical realism used to promote women in the novels House of the spirits and Like water for chocolate?"

I need some examples , and whatever you might think can help a poor A1 student

Cheers

Alfabeta particles

Magical realism is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of light water for chocolate.

So, that part is not very original.

& Maybe you could be more specific.

E.g. What do you mean by 'promote women' ?

If by "promote women" you mean to analyze the two books from a Feminist point of view, you might want to look at the relationship between the women to each other and/or to the society. I've only read House of the Spirits, but from there I can think of points of interest such as the difference between the notion of marriage between the generations, or the way women deals with oppression, the importance of maternal friendship, ect... If you want to look at magical realism, the dog (forgot his name, barbaras? I get it confused with the name Bazarov from Fathers and Sons) and the birds in the story as a symbol of innocence/freedom, or looking at Clara's precognitive power in relation to her character in the society. I haven't studied the text in detail, but from what I remember there was definitely a strong element of feminism in House of the Spirits. The topics I suggested might not be suitable for a World Lit topic but I hope I've provided you with enough ideas.

I have only studied Like Water for Chocolate, but I think that you could easily argue the woman's rights power or control over her life. Magical realism helps portray this through the unbelievable incidents surrounding Tita's emotions--her anger, her lust, her happiness, etc. Also, you could look at the quality of life of a woman with freedom and the quality of life of a woman without freedom--Gertrudis (spelling?) and Mama Elena, respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh that's an awesome topic!!! Ihaven't read LWFC but I wrote my WL1 on HOTS - I really like your idea. are you sure you'll have enough in HOTS though? All I can think of is Rosa and Clara, and Rosa only has a little bit about her, and it's only about her beauty, not exactly feminist... But for Clara maybe you can talk about how nicolas tries to mimic his mother's abilities, and fails, and that promotes female power? Well actually you can talk about the different ways in which women have power over men in HOTS and LWFC in terms of magical realism... and then you can bring rosa in as a direct contrast to her younger sister, about how they both had power over esteban trueba in different ways... Something like that might be interesting. Now I'm just blabbing though. haha. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read the second novel but The House of the Spirits is full of magical realism, number one, Rosa's hair, and Clara's visons with the three legged table with the mora sisters'. I am also doing my world lit paper on this and Chronicle of a death Foretold, but i'm comparing the character's reactions to pain.

I am not sure if i can agree with "promoting women" like Tita, wasnt she dealing with supressed anger all along? and like though Esteban failed to control

Clara, the fact that he did try to control and that the women were treated like objects there im not sure if it is to promote women maybe you can say

that it kinda focuses on their hardships and etc

and since magical realism is a common theme between the two books, many people will try to deal with that topic together with the topic "women"

my teacher said that its really important to be unique (well not maybe in the topic but like writing) so that the examiner would not get bored >.<

wish you the best of luck :sadnod: