bio exam

hk213

one simple question....

I've been relying solely on my bio syllabus for studying and I thought there are so many other things that i've learned which aren't listed in the syllabus.

So is it okay to just look at the syllabus and study ONLY the criteria that are listed?

We get tested all the time on things that aren't on the syllabus because we have to learn them to meet the local school division education guideless, or something like that. If your teacher is spending a lot of time teaching you things that aren't on the syllabus, then it's probably necessary to know the concepts for small tests/quizzes he/she gives you but not for IB exams.

Except for the data analysis in Paper 2 which is pure BS to me, no offence, but sometimes, it has got NOTHING to do with the syllabus whatsoever.

I completely agree.

Before, I used to get so fed-up with those questions.

But you get better at them with practice :wtf:

Except for the data analysis in Paper 2 which is pure BS to me, no offence, but sometimes, it has got NOTHING to do with the syllabus whatsoever.

A lot of it is common sense though. I liked studying for P1 because that was easy to study for. P3 studying was eliminating topics that had been covered in the year before so that I only had to study like, half of the material. :wtf:

I do agree that IB officially can't test you on something that isn't on the objectives, but our teacher likes to point out that there are somethings we have to understand before we can fully appreciate the answer to a question.

Our teacher will go off on supposed tangents, and it will seem like he's wasting so much time, but this isn't the case. Before he delves into the material, he'll provide us with crucial background. I suggest that if you feel like you have time (haha time. Isn't that funny? Who has time?? :wtf: ) you should review the notes you have even if one part isn't explicitly in the syllabus

Stick to the syllabus religiously and you'll do fine. A good study guide can usually help here.

To do exceptionally well you have to understand the biological 'language'. Thats where the less capable get separated from the extraordinary! And unfortunately the only way to learn this is to read into biology textbooks... looking over 'connecting concepts' not explicitly mentioned in the syllabus, but somehow related to the topic...

Like in a bio paper a few years back... very few people got full marks in a question asking for 'direct' and 'indirect' measurement of photosynthesis... the distinction is so simple yet it wasn't outlined in the syllabus... such things the IBO simply expect you to know.

Edited by Asterix

Like in a bio paper a few years back... very few people got full marks in a question asking for 'direct' and 'indirect' measurement of photosynthesis... the distinction is so simple yet it wasn't outlined in the syllabus... such things the IBO simply expect you to know.

I am assuming 'direct' is measuring changes in O2 production, CO2 consumption, etc and 'indirect' is something like change in biomass??? You don't even need to read books outside of biology (there's not enough time at this point)... past papers will help with the terminology and let you practice. But like you said, it's not what you answer, it's how you answer. Read markschemes and see how IB rephrases their responses and be familiar with the style.

Have you received the syllabus from the teacher? ..are we supposed to get it?

I revise everything that is in our book because I have not received a copy of the syllabus.. :yes:

my teacher just linked the objectives to his webpage.

you can probably find them online somewhere, but here's a good site i found from another IB school:

<http://jcib-biology.tripod.com/>

• 4 weeks later...

For Bio, All I do for revision is answer ALL the objectives of the syllabus.

That's it.

I sucked at Paper 2 in the beginning, but like mentioned, you get better with each practice.

There's no way IB will give you questions that are not on the syllabus.

In Biology, for example, there's just way too much to remember and you don't have to remember the details of all the stuff, so why remember it?

Just know what you need to know.

Personally, I get annoyed if there's gaps..so I overlearn...but yeah.