How many TOK papers are you going to/did you write?

At my school, we're only doing ONE - yes, one, after spending the entire year of TOK and only learning the 4 ways of knowing, and spending the rest of the time doing who-knows-what.

And, this ONE is our actual, final TOK essay for external assessment. Oh, the joy.

So, I was just wondering how many TOK papers are you going to/did you write? I've heard some schools do as much as four... just wondering. While I don't really want to have to suffer through MORE essay writing, I'd certainly prefer to have a final outcome that's GOOD because of the experience in writing them first.

we had quarterly tok assignments, so we had to do about 6 before the final one. It helped me with essay writing in general, because when I started I didn't know how to write 1500 words, but for tok wise it won't make a difference as long as you know what you're talking about

We did 12 practice essays. Our first one was over the summer of IB1, and was only 500 words. Gradually our teacher incresed the word limit, and in the beginning she only marked us according to some of the TOK criteria. We were given an essay about once a month and usually had about 10 days to write it. And we always had a chance to rewrite the essay after she'd marked it.

We are doing one. In fact, I am writing it VERY soon (i.e. after this post). I could not possibly imagine doing more than one because this one is so mentally draining. I have been working on the philosophy of it for weeks, eg. visiting philosophy professors. I love/ hate my title which is number 7 of the November 2009 titles. It is warping my mind but somehow I feel deliciously content. IB is turning me into a masochist. It is due in about 23 weeks but I want to get on top of my work instead of leaving it for the night before. I hope I am not going over the top.

Oh, and by the way, did anyone else finish their TOK syllabus in the first year? We are the first IB-er's in the school and there is only 6 of us. Now it is our second year and they combined our class (which is an after school class) with the year 11 IB (of 8 people). We are just repeating the same syllabus and the lack of mental expansion is driving me insane, coupled with the waste of valuable homework time. Has anyone else done this, or is my school lunatic? I am seriously considering asking for "classes off" to do our *ahem* TOK essay (which, clever me, I will already have done). Would anyone condone this? Is it rude?

We are doing one. In fact, I am writing it VERY soon (i.e. after this post). I could not possibly imagine doing more than one because this one is so mentally draining. I have been working on the philosophy of it for weeks, eg. visiting philosophy professors. I love/ hate my title which is number 7 of the November 2009 titles. It is warping my mind but somehow I feel deliciously content. IB is turning me into a masochist. It is due in about 23 weeks but I want to get on top of my work instead of leaving it for the night before. I hope I am not going over the top.

Oh, and by the way, did anyone else finish their TOK syllabus in the first year? We are the first IB-er's in the school and there is only 6 of us. Now it is our second year and they combined our class (which is an after school class) with the year 11 IB (of 8 people). We are just repeating the same syllabus and the lack of mental expansion is driving me insane, coupled with the waste of valuable homework time. Has anyone else done this, or is my school lunatic? I am seriously considering asking for "classes off" to do our *ahem* TOK essay (which, clever me, I will already have done). Would anyone condone this? Is it rude?

Haha, yes TOK did the same to me! For my final TOK essay I wrote like 15 "attempts" as I called them. My goodness I nearly turned mad - I wouldn't give up :D . In the end I think I handed in attempt 2 or so. But I didn't do soo much research, or at least didn't include so much because there is not enough space to put in all the researched information. And since you have to think independently as well, restating what philosoper X and Y and Z said is not necessarily gonna get you a good grade! I think 1500 is not enough at all to write a decent "philosophy" essay... I mean yes, you can write a decent essay in the eyes of IB, but you really can't discuss a lot in my opinion. (ok doesn't sound logical)

We also finished our TOK syllabus in the first year, the second TOK year, which basically ended after Christmas break, we spent on doing our TOK presentation and then writing the essay. Overall we only had one practice essay and then our final one... our TOK lessons were never really helpful... I don't think the teachers really knew what to teach and most people in our class hated the subject and hated writing the essay (so the predicted grades are on average quite low).

Oh! And your approach to get "on top" of your work - fantastic! Go on like that you and won't suffer so much in the end! Believe me. If I could turn back time I would do the same - instead I spent one and a half year wondering why the former IB classes say IB is so stressful and difficult etc. ....

Edited by remy