World Literature - Symbolism

hey!

so i've narrowed my title down and its about SYMBOLISM.

and im doing it on

Perfume and The Outsider

I've chosen my symbols:

Perfume: Tick and Perfume (sense of smell)

Outsider: Sun and Courtroom

but, i don't know how to structure an essay, like i have points down but its not enough for me to finish the essay

what do you think i should analyze or include in my essay about those symbols? : )

hey!

so i've narrowed my title down and its about SYMBOLISM.

and im doing it on

Perfume and The Outsider

I've chosen my symbols:

Perfume: Tick and Perfume (sense of smell)

Outsider: Sun and Courtroom

but, i don't know how to structure an essay, like i have points down but its not enough for me to finish the essay

what do you think i should analyze or include in my essay about those symbols? : )

Obviously you would have to start with an introduction and in your introduction say what you are going to write about and it's effect and how it might reinforce the meaning of the main theme conveyed. I don't know what the book is about but you could say for instance : ' The author uses different symbols such as Perfume to accentuate the aristocracy and the elegant conduct rich people carried in that time.'

In the main body of the essay I don't think you can quite simply just talk about symbols themselves. Try to derive the idea of symbols from a main theme or two. Talk about how symbols actually help to tell the story, how the symbols tell us more about the character, the effect it has on the reader.

These are just a few hints, I might have been completely wrong, but I hope this helps.

WL1 is a comparative essay. Also, I think you have to many symbols for each book. Your going to run out of words. On my WL1 (Biblical Allusions in The Stranger and The Metamorphosis to illustrate themes) I had to cut out half of my topic becuase I ran out of words.

You could use:

-Intro

-Body 1

--Commenlities

--Differences

--Evaluation

Body 2

--Commenlities

--Differences

--Evaluation

Body 3

--Commenlities

--Differences

--Evaluation

-Effectiveness

-Conclusion

WL1 is a comparative essay. Also, I think you have to many symbols for each book. Your going to run out of words. On my WL1 (Biblical Allusions in The Stranger and The Metamorphosis to illustrate themes) I had to cut out half of my topic becuase I ran out of words.

You could use:

-Intro

-Body 1

--Commenlities

--Differences

--Evaluation

Body 2

--Commenlities

--Differences

--Evaluation

Body 3

--Commenlities

--Differences

--Evaluation

-Effectiveness

-Conclusion

i thought i had too many symbols, but my friends said if i only had 1 from each book, i wont have enough to write about? :S

we'll see how it goes,

thanks for your help! : )

If you want to write about symbolism, definitely choose one example of such imagery. WL1 is a comparative essay and there wouldn't be much to compare if the objects of comparison were different. With that said, don't worry about not having enough to write! Imagery is probably one of the easiest things to write about (in my opinion) and you can (and should) add personal interpretation and analysis to bump up the word count.

With only 1500 words to discuss two texts, I think you should consider writing about only one imagery or one idea that the imagery point to (I think the former would be easiest). I doubt you will find that you don't have enough to say. My suggestion is to just dig up all the quotes with the chosen imagery, pick out the ones that relates best to the idea you want to discuss and just start writing. Just be sure to stay focus and not wander outside of the topic you've chosen.