Should I repeat another year of High School to do IB?

Depressedfridge

I'm currently a Grade 12 High School student in the Czech Republic, and the Czech Upper Secondary School system usually lasts 4 years (graduation - Grade 13). 

Right now, I have 3 options: I could move to Canada or stay in Czechia and graduate in Canada/Czechia (the academic year 2023/2024.) The third option is to repeat another year of high school and attend the IB programme in Denmark. (Graduation year - 2024-2025)

I plan to study for a bachelor's degree at top universities in the EU, e.g., the Netherlands (UoA, Utrecht University, Erasmus University of Rotterdam...) or Denmark (Copenhagen Business School, Aarhus University...) 

I just don't know whether I should add an extra year of HS because I feel I will be behind my current classmates.... However, my family is supporting me to move to Denmark and completing the IB will give me an advantage in admissions at unis since the Czech Maturita is not widely recognized internationally. Please help me and provide me with advice 🥲 Thank you very much!

PS: I was already accepted to all High Schools in Canada and Denmark.

23 hours ago, Depressedfridge said:

I'm currently a Grade 12 High School student in the Czech Republic, and the Czech Upper Secondary School system usually lasts 4 years (graduation - Grade 13). 

Right now, I have 3 options: I could move to Canada or stay in Czechia and graduate in Canada/Czechia (the academic year 2023/2024.) The third option is to repeat another year of high school and attend the IB programme in Denmark. (Graduation year - 2024-2025)

I plan to study for a bachelor's degree at top universities in the EU, e.g., the Netherlands (UoA, Utrecht University, Erasmus University of Rotterdam...) or Denmark (Copenhagen Business School, Aarhus University...) 

I just don't know whether I should add an extra year of HS because I feel I will be behind my current classmates.... However, my family is supporting me to move to Denmark and completing the IB will give me an advantage in admissions at unis since the Czech Maturita is not widely recognized internationally. Please help me and provide me with advice 🥲 Thank you very much!

PS: I was already accepted to all High Schools in Canada and Denmark.

Honestly if you score well and it really gives you an advantage to get into a good uni, I think doing the IB in Denmark would be good, especially if you plan on applying there. In college there usually isn't much of a thing about exact age difference, and maybe moving will give you a nice preview of college life. However it is a whole year, so just be sure you'll score well and plan things out to ensure that. 

• 1 year later...