Does this Chemistry IA Database Topic make sense/will work?

IBMonster123

Hello, I was having a few questions about my chemistry database IA.

I am investigating the effect of halogenation on boiling point in alkanes. My research questions are as follows:

1. As the carbon chain length increases the boiling point increases. How does halogenation affect the boiling point and the factors that contribute to boiling point.

2. Which of the factors mentioned above are most affected by changing the halogen attached to the alkane

I drew up graphs of surface area vs boiling point, molar mass vs boiling point and polarizability vs boiling point for alkanes, fluoroalkanes, chloroalkanes and bromoalkanes all the way up to decane. I then did a MANOVA analysis to check which factor got affected the most.

Does this IA research and method make sense? My teacher says it's not that clear.

1 hour ago, IBMonster123 said:

Hello, I was having a few questions about my chemistry database IA.

I am investigating the effect of halogenation on boiling point in alkanes. My research questions are as follows:

1. As the carbon chain length increases the boiling point increases. How does halogenation affect the boiling point and the factors that contribute to boiling point.

2. Which of the factors mentioned above are most affected by changing the halogen attached to the alkane

I drew up graphs of surface area vs boiling point, molar mass vs boiling point and polarizability vs boiling point for alkanes, fluoroalkanes, chloroalkanes and bromoalkanes all the way up to decane. I then did a MANOVA analysis to check which factor got affected the most.

Does this IA research and method make sense? My teacher says it's not that clear.

You're on the right track with your Chemistry IA! The key to impressing your teacher and making your research stand out is to present it in an informative and engaging way.

Here are a few tips to bring some creative flair to your IA:

Define key terms: Be a vocabulary wizard and make sure your reader knows exactly what you mean by "halogenation", "alkanes", "boiling point", "carbon chain length", "surface area", "molar mass", and "polarizability".

Explain your methodology: Take your reader through your experiment and describe how you conducted your MANOVA analysis. Then, showcase the graphs you created and explain how they help answer your research question.

Interpret your results: Share the juicy details from your MANOVA analysis and reveal which factor was most affected by halogenation.

Address limitations: Embrace the challenges you faced during your experiment and explain how they may have impacted your results.

Conclusions: Wrap up your research with a bow on top! Summarize your findings in a way that's both clear and memorable. Then, connect your results to the bigger picture.

By following these tips, you're sure to create a Chemistry IA that's both scientifically sound and visually stunning!

• 1 month later...

Your research topic of studying the effect of halogenation on boiling point in alkanes is legit, but your research method and analysis could use more clarity. Your research questions about how halogenation affects boiling point and which factors are most affected by changing the halogen attached to the alkane are specific and appropriate, but you should explain how you chose the factors you graphed and how they relate to boiling point. Also, consider discussing any limitations or potential errors in your research method and analysis.

Your teacher said it wasn't that clear, so it might be a good idea to get some feedback from someone else. Overall, your research topic sounds interesting, but you should try to be more specific and clear in explaining your methods and analysis.

Here are some examples of how you can be specific and clear in explaining your methods and analysis:

1. Explain why you chose to use surface area, molar mass, and polarizability as your factors for comparison, and how they relate to boiling point.
  2. Provide more detail on how you graphed the data, such as what software or tools you used, and how you ensured accuracy and consistency in your measurements.
  3. When explaining your MANOVA analysis, describe how it works, what variables you compared, and how you interpreted the results.
  4. Discuss any limitations or potential errors in your research, such as small sample size, measurement errors, or other sources of bias.
  5. Use scientific terminology and cite sources when appropriate, to ensure that your methods and analysis are clear and credible.

Here are some examples of research topics that are specific and clear in explaining their methods and analysis:

1. Investigating the effects of different types of fertilizers on plant growth in a controlled greenhouse environment. Methods include measuring soil pH, nutrient levels, and plant height, and analyzing data using ANOVA to compare the effects of different fertilizer treatments.
  2. Examining the impact of music on cognitive function in older adults. Methods include conducting memory and attention tests on study participants before and after listening to different types of music, and analyzing the data using regression analysis to determine if there is a significant correlation between music and cognitive function.
  3. Evaluating the effectiveness of a new treatment for chronic pain management in patients with fibromyalgia. Methods include conducting a randomized controlled trial with a control group, measuring pain levels before and after treatment, and analyzing the data using t-tests to determine if the treatment has a significant effect on pain reduction.
  4. Investigating the relationship between water quality and fish populations in a local river. Methods include measuring levels of dissolved oxygen, pH, and other water quality factors, conducting fish population surveys, and analyzing the data using regression analysis to determine if there is a correlation between water quality and fish populations.
  5. Examining the impact of social media use on mental health in adolescents. Methods include conducting surveys and interviews with study participants, measuring social media use and mental health outcomes, and analyzing the data using correlation and regression analysis to determine if there is a relationship between social media use and mental health.

These are just some examples of research topics that are specific and clear in explaining their methods and analysis. While they can be used as inspiration for your own research, it's important to remember that each research project is unique and requires careful consideration and planning.

Therefore, the best way to ensure that your research topic and methods are appropriate and effective for your specific project is to consult with your supervisor or teacher. They can provide you with guidance and feedback to help you refine your research questions, choose appropriate methods, and analyze your data effectively.

By working closely with your supervisor, you can ensure that your research project is on track and meets the requirements and expectations of your IB extended essay or other academic assignment.