stoichiometry lab

hk213

Ok. So for my lab i used a given quantity of iron to react with excess copper(II) sulfate,which produces COPPER AND IRON SULFATE.

For this lab, we are supposed to determine the percentage yield of copper and i got slightly over the theoretical yield :blink:

Theoretical: 1.7g Cu
Actual : 1.72g Cu

How is this possible, i mean it isn't possible to produce more than the amount of reactants. It would make sense if the actual yield was less than the

theoretical yield............. So i really need an explanation for this.

And for this lab, what kind of things would be considered as limitations&errors???
(I used the decanting process to get the copper and dried it off for a day.)

This implies systematic errors. Since I don't know your exact method, I can't suggest any limitations and I don't think I'm allowed to either.

Go through your method and think carefully about what systematic errors that would give a too high experimental value.

As Tilia said, the systematic errors that your method has account for the difference between the theoretical and the actual yield. You can also calculate the total uncertainties for the experiment as you are likely to have used inaccurate instruments. (or not but they still affect your experimental result).