Having a presentation on the IB program

seconds

Next year I'm about to visit some schools and have presentations on the IB program. So, I've been planning the composition of my presentation and considering the things those students might want to know.

If you were in a situation like this, what would you like them to know?
What were the reasons that made you finally take this program?
What didn't you know about IB before taking it and what would you have liked to know?
Are there some things that you find extremely important to be aware of?
From a student's point of view, what is the best thing in this program?
etc.

I would be delighted if you answered any kind of questions that would make IB sound more and more respected alternative for those students' studies! Thank you. :P

Edited by seconds

I would have liked to know what TOK is (properly) and also be told about CAS (we weren't!). Oh and some proper estimations of the relative difficulties of subjects... maths studies all the way, unless they need maths! :P

As for my favourite things about the programme which I feel set it apart, I'd actually say that the oral components and the opportunity for presentations, confidence building etc. are far greater than the alternative around here, and I've actually really appreciated them. I don't think that there's anything special about the IB and 'independent study' except for the EE... we were sold it on that basis. Similarly I would've liked a realistic picture of how universities view the IB-- that it's a normal course and not some kind of special ticket :P

I'd also say that you do end up with a sort-of IB 'clan' by the end of it. You have to become pretty close with your fellow students and in a way that's actually quite nice :) It's a good atmosphere to work in and nicer than non-IB classes where you tend to get less of that sense. Friendship from hardship xP

I personally picked it to keep my subject options open. If I'd known what I wanted to do (and if I could go back in time now), I wouldn't have taken it. Although some people plug the IB as 'open to everyone', I think that it's not hugely realistic because it's not really that high a proportion of people who can do well in every subject. If you can get 7's in 4 of your subjects but only 4s or 5s in the others... do A Levels, I say! :P It's for people who're all-rounders or people who want a challenge and don't need the top grades they can get. 4 A's at A Level looks a whole lot better than, say, 36/45 points.

Tell them that the EE isn't as daunting as it appears. It scared the hell out of me when IBers were telling me about slaving away their whole summer writing their EE when I was in pre-IB. Turns out I only needed 3 days to write my EE lol.

Oh and also getting 40+ isn't THAT unrealistic. It seems hard/crazy to get 6/7 in all subjects but it's honestly just a matter of hard work, you don't have to be a genius or anything. And 150 hours of CAS seems like a lot but it actually isn't, most people in my graduating class ended up getting 300+ hours.

Edited by __inthemaking

It all varies, but I would've liked clarification on what kind of credit I can get at local universities for taking certain IB courses.

I love the learning environment in IB, so I would definitely mention how you are at a great advantage to be in classes with people who have similar learning goals as you. Much less distracting not having people around who might interfere with your performance.

Oh, thanks a lot! That's exactly what I meant. Most of the things you mentioned were just the same that I'd picked up already, but you brought some new aspects, so thanks! :)

[quote name='KLSmash' post='42888' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:58 PM']From my perspective, there is a huge stereotype about people in the IB Program that are complete nerds, don't have social lives nor time for extra-curricular activities, so make sure you touch on that and give examples of yourself/your friends, etc.[/quote]
Btw, it's funny how these stereotypes seem to work all over the world... True. That makes me quite frustrated, "yes, I can still be a pleasant person though I'm studying IB" ...

Edited by seconds