My real history IA

BCmh

HEY everyone,
I'm a struggling history student at HL level needing help on how to go about his final internal assessment.

My research question is: "To what extent was the foreign policy of the USA responsible for the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962?"
Any comments or help is much appreciated!

I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific.

If you're having a difficult time getting started, I suggest you use the links on this website to guide you through the process: [url="http://www.southsaxons.com/staff/staff/hc/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Internal%20Assessment%20Handout%20and%20Guidelines.pdf"]http://www.southsaxons.com/staff/staff/hc/...0Guidelines.pdf[/url].

Edited by DeStijl

[quote name='BCmh' post='42107' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:08 PM']HEY everyone,
I'm a struggling history student at HL level needing help on how to go about his final internal assessment.

My research question is: "To what extent was the foreign policy of the USA responsible for the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962?"
Any comments or help is much appreciated![/quote]

Rephrase your question so that it incorporates the USA more specifically (i.e. To what extent was the USA's foreign policy on _____ responsible for the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962?"

Oh heh thanks! yeah sorry my plea was a little unspecific, I'm seeking help on how to do the Evaluation of sources and Analysis sections of the IA.
As per the suggestion of the latest reply, i've changed my research question to "To what extent was the foreign policy of the USA from 1945-1962 responsible for the Cuban Missile Crisis?".
So far i've done only sections A and B...
As you can see i'm one of those tragic procrastinators that were not meant to do IB but tried anyway... i have to finish this IA by next week... :-(

[quote name='BCmh' post='42232' date='Apr 1 2009, 03:32 AM']As you can see i'm one of those tragic procrastinators that were not meant to do IB but tried anyway... i have to finish this IA by next week... :-([/quote]

ROFL. I did my entire Internal Assessment within three days of the due date. Partially because I'm a notorious procrastinator, but primarily because I work well while under pressure. So don't feel too bad. :ot:

Anyway, I like your research question. Nice and succinct. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Mmmkay. So. I'm assuming you already know that for the source evaluation, you'll be required to choose two resources used in either Part B or D and individually make note of and assess their origins, purposes, values, and limitations. Of course, by "individually", I mean that it's not meant to be a compare and contrast sort of whatsit. You should probably select two of your strongest resources, and one of them would ideally be a primary source. Once you have them chosen, just discuss them and their implications in your investigation. Remember to be definitive in your statements. Never say "perhaps". Be concise.

The analysis is just that...an analysis. Use this section to put everything you stated in your summary of evidence into historical context. Don't throw in additional facts, as surprises aren't welcome in interpreting evidence. Deal with what you already have, and discuss how it fits into the "bigger picture", historically speaking. Remember that these are YOUR conclusions based on what was presented in Part B. This will show true comprehension of your topic. If you so wish, try to include other possible interpretations, which could add some depth to your study. And also keep in mind the key words that you should be using: "because", "thus", "with the result that"....anything of that nature.

BAM. Hopefully that was of some assistance to you. If you're still in need of more help, I suggest you contact your teacher. Surely they'll provide you with the precise details of what they personally want.