Chem SL IA

herong2x

Hi we just did an experiment on the topc: tests for anions and cations, we just basically had to follow the instructions e.g. "put about a 1cm depth of the solution in a test tube and add an equal volume of dilute nitric acid. now add a few drops of aqueous barium chlride or barium nitrate." then observe the changes and record it.

It was a qualitative experiment as what my teacher says and after the first step we had to identify the ions e.g. carbonate ions, sulfate ions etc. based on the observations we made.

We are supposed to do an IA on this and i have no idea how to start it nor what to do. i am trying my best to search any information concerning anions and cations (since that is our topic) but i am getting no where

Thank you so much T_T

Well hopefully you know for starters that a cation is a positive ion and an anion is a negative ion ^_^

Take a look at the observations you made and see what sort of thing you're looking at. A colour change, for instance, might indicate a displacement reaction. A precipitate means that an insoluble product has been formed. Did you test for any gases being evolved?

That kind of thing will give you a clue. Then look it up in the textbooks! It should all be there (:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Tilia' post='42119' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:26 PM']If you have the equations, you should be able to figure it out, I guess. Also, the observations usually give some help. But ask your teacher or fellow IB student.[/quote]

it was more on a qualitative analysis so im thinking of maybe placing tables as "graphs" but no calculations hehe

[quote name='sandwich' post='42200' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:21 PM']Well hopefully you know for starters that a cation is a positive ion and an anion is a negative ion :)

Take a look at the observations you made and see what sort of thing you're looking at. A colour change, for instance, might indicate a displacement reaction. A precipitate means that an insoluble product has been formed. Did you test for any gases being evolved?

That kind of thing will give you a clue. Then look it up in the textbooks! It should all be there (:[/quote]

Thank you so much! >< thats a big start for me hehe
we didnt do anything on gas (we actually had to but our teacher disregarded it)
but we did on the color changes cuz it was a qualitative analysis and there was a precipitate forming
thank you so much