U.S uni and part time job?

faith

I heard that universities in the U.S really like to see some reference to work experience on our applications, and so far, all I've got are one week of compulsory work experience at a hospital (In Australia, there is a tradition of making year 10 students go out to the workforce for a week), and another week of voluntary work shadowing at a science lab. With the amount of work I've got and all the extra-curricular activities, I really don't think I have the organization or persistence to keep a part-time job without influencing my grades. Would that influence my chances of getting into a good U.S uni?

Work experience is looked favorably upon but not essential. However if you are aiming at the very best, you must have the whole package, which means you are going to have to find some time. Surely you have a few hours to spare in the weekend or Summer holidays?

Voluntary work is pretty much normal work, so if you volunteer at a non-profit organization that would be awesome.

[quote name='Forester' post='41934' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:20 AM']Work experience is looked favorably upon but not essential. However if you are aiming at the very best, you must have the whole package, which means you are going to have to find some time. Surely you have a few hours to spare in the weekend or Summer holidays?

Voluntary work is pretty much normal work, so if you volunteer at a non-profit organization that would be awesome.[/quote]

I volunteer for St. Johns Ambulance as a cadet, and it is a part of my CAS. It can't really be counted as work experience though, can it?

Voulenteer work can deffinatly be counted as work experience. for my job application i always put voulenter work as experience but i note that it was on a voulentary basis. i would only do this if it was regularly done though. i voulnetered at one place for two years working three hour days once a week. it shows dedication, and you arte not recieving compencation for your work.

i don't think that you have to hold a part time job to get into uni. but i think that it would help. if you can't work during the school year try during the summer for a part time job.

it is hard to do IB, do all your ECs, and hold a job. i did that and i had to quit my job coz i couldn't fit CAS into my free time that i had, so it deffinaly doesn't always work.