Maths degree without HL Physics

typewriter

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I couldn't find a better one to post it on. I'm a UK student taking the IB next year, and my HL subjects are Maths, Chem and Biology. I'm seriously considering taking Physics instead of Biology, because 1) I'm kind of starting to appreciate it, and 2) I'm not sure whether my chances of getting into a good university to study Maths would be decreased if I didn't have Physics.

Second question... How do Biology and Physics compare? Is there a lot more content to learn for Biology? How maths-based is the Physics course? Any other thoguhts would be helpful.

Thanks. :D

Edited by typewriter

I would say both Physics and Biology are quite demanding as both require some memorising, but I agree that you really have to understand physics to be good in it.

As with your chances being decreased when you want to go into the university, it of course depends on the university itself. But it is true that many math students take physics as well.

You could of course take all three science subjects, but for that, you would have to take seven subjects. When you think that you can cope with that, and when you are good in time management, that would be also worth a try.

Edited by hermine0817

It might be a good idea to take Physics, since it is very mathematical. I don't know about how you best learn, but I found it rather useful to have learnt about kinematics before doing calculus, so I had some place to apply it directly. There is not much of a course overlap to talk about; I can only think about vectors. However, it is probably quite helpful to have another mathematical subject, so that you really get used to (basic) maths. When I browsed through British uni degrees a year ago, most maths degrees I looked at contained some Physics course, but Physics was never a prerequisite. HL Physics is probably quite attractive, though standard, in the eyes of admission groups. Other interesting choices in that sense would probably be Philosophy and Comp sci. Maybe Chem as well...

[quote name='SharkSpider' post='41851' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:32 PM']I would do physics. For the math program I applied for, I was admitted over someone who had the same marks as me, save two points lower in physics, so they obviously look at the course even if its just in math.[/quote]
I think it was more because of the fact that their HL marks were lower than yours, pulling their overall average down. I know someone who was admitted to a math program with SL Math and no Physics (absolute none... not even grade 11!). :P

[quote name='typewriter' post='41865' date='Mar 27 2009, 06:50 PM']Well, surely the interview, personal statement etc. played a part as well? Though I know nothing about the uni application system you have - is it only the grades that matter?[/quote]
There is no interview process, but you're right, teacher reference forms do matter. Some univs ask for supplementary application forms but for most courses, if your marks are high enough, it doesn't make a difference (well, at least for UW and Queen's :dead: ).

Edited by Irene