Chemical Engineer - Canada

1-2-3

Just a few questions:
What higher studies would one have to pursue in order to become a chemical engineer in Canada?
(Bachelors in Chemical Engineering - 4 years) and... Masters?

How many years would that take?

How are the employment prospects in Canada? In Ontario?

What is the average salary range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :no:

Higher studies:
The best thing about an engineering degree, imo, is the fact that you can get a job immediately upon graduating university. So, yeah, four years. I think people, most of the time, only get a Master's in engineering if they want to go into research. Not sure though. This takes 3-4 years, depending on if you want an honours degree or not.

Employment prospects:
Pretty good? There was the industrial revolution in the 1800s; I think what we are undergoing now is something like the "technological" revolution because there is a higher than ever demand for engineers. Technology technology technology. Technological advances induce aggregate supply to go up, thereby causing our economy to GROWWW! (okay, yeah, sorry; bit of an economics there because I've been staring at econ-related stuff for so long).

Salary:
I'm thinking a starting salary of 60k or around there. It'll go up as you get more experience, for sure, but I haven't heard of many engineers making high six-figures or anything like that.

What happened to becoming a doctor? (you were asking about that a few threads ago, hehe)

[quote name='greaterthaninfinity' post='41386' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:51 PM']Higher studies:
The best thing about an engineering degree, imo, is the fact that you can get a job immediately upon graduating university. So, yeah, four years. I think people, most of the time, only get a Master's in engineering if they want to go into research. Not sure though. This takes 3-4 years, depending on if you want an honours degree or not.

Employment prospects:
Pretty good? There was the industrial revolution in the 1800s; I think what we are undergoing now is something like the "technological" revolution because there is a higher than ever demand for engineers. Technology technology technology. Technological advances induce aggregate supply to go up, thereby causing our economy to GROWWW! (okay, yeah, sorry; bit of an economics there because I've been staring at econ-related stuff for so long).

Salary:
I'm thinking a starting salary of 60k or around there. It'll go up as you get more experience, for sure, but I haven't heard of many engineers making high six-figures or anything like that.

What happened to becoming a doctor? (you were asking about that a few threads ago, hehe)[/quote]

Thank you so much for all that information.

Well, I'm just in Grade 11... so I change my plans for university (& basically the rest of my life?) every other day :)
I've just been looking through different universities, careers and so on.
I had a 7 in HL Chemistry and HL English last semester.
...But it was just the first semester, so I guess that doesn't really mean that I'll be able to maintan that mark. I'll obviously try : )
Economics: it's too early to tell.
SL Math and SL Biology, we had quite a few IAs/ tests returned recently, so I'm not sure of my predicted mark... will probably recieve it after the March Break.
I got a 7 on the first portfolio though :no:

... & I took Grade 11 Physics last summer.
& Will take Grade 12 Physics this summer.

Personally, I love the sciences, particularly Chemistry.
Biology and Physics are not that bad either.

I'm not sure if I want to go on the path of becoming a doctor (would take me 7-8 years + 2 years in residency; more if I want to specialize in something), engineering (3-4 years), actuarial studies, law, economics or business =| :)
I know... completely narrowed down :)

Well, I don't mind studying in university until I am 25-26.
& I am genuinely interested in the subjects (Yes; Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Math and Physics :) ) I'm considering to take in university.
Plus, I enjoy studying :)
So, I'd rather study something that would give me a stable job and a decent salary... for all the hard-work that I'm ready to go through for that :)
As far as money is concerned, if I studied something which would get me a good job, I'd probably be able to pay it back soon (OSAP).

Okay there. I went on a not-so-little rant there.

Anyways, thanks again for your help :)

...& If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying/planning to study in university?

Edited by 1-2-3

My boyfriend is currently in school for chemical engineering.

He's at the University of Waterloo Chemical Engineering program with co-op, which is a 5 year program for the undergraduate degree. Master's isn't really necessary to get a job, but of course, you can if you wish.

Job prospects are generally good except with the economy as it is right now, engineers are having a tough time even finding co-op jobs. Plants are being closed down and at Waterloo, the stats are something like 56% of all UW engineers get co-op placement. But I think it should be fine again in several years.

[quote name='__inthemaking' post='41484' date='Mar 22 2009, 06:51 PM']My boyfriend is currently in school for chemical engineering.

He's at the University of Waterloo Chemical Engineering program with co-op, which is a 5 year program for the undergraduate degree. Master's isn't really necessary to get a job, but of course, you can if you wish.

Job prospects are generally good except with the economy as it is right now, engineers are having a tough time even finding co-op jobs. Plants are being closed down and at Waterloo, [b]the stats are something like 56% of all UW engineers get co-op placement[/b]. But I think it should be fine again in several years.[/quote]
Holy. That's a steep drop from the 98% or whatever success rate a few years back. :( Incredible and scary.