Will I Make the Cut?

avident

So here's my situation:

I am in IB1 at the moment and the previous fall went terribly school-wise. I only did 5 subjects and got 24 points for them. The 6th was self-taught and thus not graded.

After I switched schools over the winter break, I now have all my 6 subjects taught and I did some other changes to my subjects, as well, in terms of HL and SL. Thanks to that and some new-found motivation, I've been doing really well lately, getting only 6s and 7s. Still, I am freaking out, since I recently found out that it is my 11th grade transcripts that count the most for US universities. As getting into them has been my dream since I was a kid, and since they are the whole reason I'm doing the IB, I can't help but feel anxious. Will I get into any of the top-tier universities like the ones in Ivy League if I get 40+ points now? Will the 25 from last fall weigh me down too much?

I have amazing extra-curriculars and I'm sure I could get in if it just wasn't for the grades. Should I give up hope or fight till the very end? If you had to guess, how many points do you think I should get at the end of this term in order to make the cut?

Don't just give up! You never know, especially if you do amazing in your senior year, which is when you get your final IB results anyways, unless you're like me and completed some IB subjects in IB1. But either way just try your best to do as well as you possibly can this year to make up for it. I don't know too much about US unis to be honest.

It can go either way to an extent, with american unis:
- If you have an amazing last two years (especially the last), you can make the cut.
-If you have a decent two last years, an amazing sophmore and freshman year can also speak for you loudly.

But in the long run, the last two year are what they're mainly looking at, so don't worry.
Additionally, most unis seem to look at end of year results(yearly reports) rather than term ones.You probably won't have to include the 25 in your apps.

This is all based on listening to older friends rant and rave, so don't quote me! :D

US unis do not focus only on your grades, so do not give up. i didn't try for top unis her in the US but i didn't have the greatest IB scores and i got into a good uni, with my tuition paid for, so there is a good chance. make sure that the uni knows about your ECs and community service. they will look at your grades from all four years in high school, but you improved them during your final year, so they will see those too, so you should be ok. don't give up.