History EE -- WW1 influencing flapper fashion of the 1920s

novablue

Hey all.
Have started my Extended Essay, I'm doing it in history and my research question, so far, is: [b]"How did WW1 contribute to the rise of "flapper fashion" amongst the women of America in the 1920s?"[/b]

Is this a narrow enough topic? I have been told by my supervisor to narrow it down, however i am not quite sure how to approach this.

At the moment i am covering the main points of:
WW1 leading to female emancipation and equality
WW1 creating a positive economic atmosphere within America
and
WW1 changing the spirit of the American public, focusing the fashion ideals into the "flapper".

I have also been advised to avoid "descriptive" and "narrative" essay writing, which is apparently a big trap for history essays. I am not sure what this means, can someone please explain it for me?

Cheers!

okay well probably your teacher wants you to cover ONE main point, not three. two at most. i'd go for something that you can *conclusively* prove... or as close to conclusively as you can get.

the narrative essay writing is just like when you're telling the background part of your paper that you don't make it into a story. she just wants to make sure that you're doing *analyzing* and not writing a story, if that makes sense.