Should I apply to UCL Psychology?

diorhomme

Hello! I am a year 12 IB student and I am starting to think about which colleges to apply to.
In January, I received my first set of predicted grades which are:
HL:
Economics - 5
Chinese B - 7
Psychology - 5

SL:
Environmental Systems - 7
English A1 - 5
Maths SL - 5

TOK/EE - AA

My teachers told me that they were kind of being hard on me so I reckon these grades will improve to something like this (at least!) :)
HL:
Economics - 6
Chinese B - 7
Psychology - 6

SL:
Environmental Systems - 7
English A1 - 5
Maths SL - 5

TOK/EE - AA

I know UCL is one of the most toughest universities to get in, and the competition is way up ... there.
But I am really really interested in psychology and I would very well like to pursuit a career in this field!!
UCL is definitely THE school for me (although there is a big chance that I would get rejected)!!
So... the question is: should I apply to UCL psychology??

OMG..and I have just found out the minimum requirement had rose from 36-38!

Edited by diorhomme

I say go for it! :)

UCL love the IB.

Although they do tend to fast track by grades (really good IB grades get early interviews/offers). If you can get the school to send off that second set of grades, I expect you'd have little problem, provided you made sure you have all the extra stuff (experience, leadership skills etc.).

Good luck!

really? do they? But i heard they hate IB students and love A-levels students. I had some fellow schoolmates who got an conditioned offer in UCL economics, and they tell me it is best to exceed the minimum required range stated in the prospectus. But another who got an conditioned offer in cambridge economics only got 38 points (and from what I've heard, 40 is like the minimum requirement?)

[quote name='Irene' post='40301' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:39 PM']Oxbridge usually gives offers of 38-40, so 38 should be fine. Those students probably had strong ECs, interviews, or something else - 38 alone is not enough to get in.[/quote]
Eh? Cambridge standard offer = 42, 7-7-6. This is Oxford you're talking about and you should remember they don't give offers based on predicteds, but rather based on the interview.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='deissi' date='Mar 14, 2009 - 17:48' timestamp='1237052916' post='40302']
[quote name='Irene' post='40301' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:39 PM']Oxbridge usually gives offers of 38-40, so 38 should be fine. Those students probably had strong ECs, interviews, or something else - 38 alone is not enough to get in.[/quote]
Eh? Cambridge standard offer = 42, 7-7-6. This is Oxford you're talking about and you should remember they don't give offers based on predicteds, but rather based on the interview.
[/quote]

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to point out that Cambridge does not have a standard offer of 42 with 776. Their standard offer ranges from 37 with 766 to 41-42 with 777 depending on the college you apply to. On the other hand, Oxford's standard offer is the same across all colleges. 38-40 with 7s in relevant subjects.