Studying for Geography

journalism93

just a quick question... how do you guys study for ur geography exams/tests?

im finding it difficult to cover all the syllabus points, case studies and massive multiple paged handouts..

so looking for everyones opinion to help me and hopefully everyone else on here with their geo studies

please feel free answer!!

+ if anyone wants to start up note sharing for geography it would be great..

Edited by journalism93

• 3 weeks later...

I try to study what I know will come up.

Things that come to mind for P1

Population policies. Sustainable development.

P2

Globalization - costs and benefits of tourism, TNCs
Arid environments - desertification, landforms
Lithospheric processes - just know case studies of different volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. Also knowledge of formation of volcanoes, plate boundaries, etc.

If you are good at English, memorize some stats, you can easily pull off a 6.

Geography is a lot about reading news and other articles on the main topics such as Tourism as they can help you have more information in essays.
Make up long essay qs and write them and hand them in to your teacher for practice
Just think of any topics you could say much about and start listing factors which are political, cultural, social, economic and think of advantages and disadvantages and be sure to always have examples for every thing you say such as --- migration has led to crime. For example in _____ the large influx of ________ has increased crime rates to ___

[quote name='journalism93' post='40228' date='Mar 14 2009, 11:37 AM']just a quick question... how do you guys study for ur geography exams/tests?

im finding it difficult to cover all the syllabus points, case studies and massive multiple paged handouts..

so looking for everyones opinion to help me and hopefully everyone else on here with their geo studies

please feel free answer!!

+ if anyone wants to start up note sharing for geography it would be great..[/quote]

Just make sure you know 3 case studies per topic and the rest is mostly common sense :blink:

IB hopeless

I found that a lot of geography is not only about case studies but also common sense. For example, as long as you know the place, the year and if you are good the exact date, then you can give a rounded number for how many people have been affected (especially if the numbers are big), normally the effects are pretty similar for case studies of the same thing (earthquakes...) so you can get the marks pretty easily- then you only have to remember the specific two or three effects for the case study.
At my school we have covered the same things about 5 times since GCSE so its pretty well stuck in my head. So repetition is key i guess.
Oh and finally, when it comes to key words, i make flashcards on powerpoint and quickly flick through them, saying what it is before the answer comes up...
Hope that helps...
Explorer... :P