Music EE

FUO213

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='KLSmash' post='38764' date='Mar 3 2009, 04:59 AM']Sure.

...But you gotta be a tiny bit more specific than that. What have you done so far? Ideas?[/quote]
OK so here's my topic. I'm gonna analyze how Vivaldi's violin concerto (the 4 seasons) affected the structure and development of later violin concertos. Do you think that it's doable???

I think your question is good, but you should specify the "later violin concertos" you will look at. There's thousands out there, and your EE will be too general if you say "violin concertos". That could be all of them up to today, which is what, 300 years? Either pick a specific musical period like Classical and limit the time frame (e.g....the effect on the structure and development in classical music during the period ____ to_____ and pick a time span of maximum 50 years), or pick 2 or 3 very significant violin concertos written after Vivaldi's and relate those to your EE.

Just a point: Criterion J is this: "[i]The candidate has chosen music for study which involves extensive contact with music
and musicians via recordings, [b]or[/b] live performances and concerts, [b]or[/b] personal contact
with composers or performers, [b]or[/b] fieldwork in a culture other than the candidate’s own[/i]".

In order to fulfil that, I think you would need to meet with composers and musicians and conduct interviews on how they think Vivaldi's "The 4 Seasons" affected the development of _____ and ________, whatever you choose. Because obviously you can't interview Vivaldi >.< The criteria is also met if you are not from wherever Vivaldo was from (since then that's a culture other than your own), but I still think you should do the other stuff to get more professional opinions. Tape the interviews and then transcribe them (write down what they say) and add it as an appendix in your EE. Then you will also meet the criterion (K or L, I forgot) of having secondary sources and using them appropriately. Also use textbooks, since the criterion specifically mentions those.

Edited by Vvi
  • Like 2

wow thanks a TON!!!! and i was gonna specify the concerto(s) later on. thats just a general research guideline thing. And i'm from the US so that should work but it would be fun if i could find a pro violinist to interview but i might just have to settle. but yea keep the ideas comming if u have any more cuz EE is pretty lame.