Jane Austen for English EE?

Keren

I have just changed my EE subject once again (from Mandarin-> Physics ->English) I am really hoping English will work out I want to write my EE using the novels Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey. I am not sure wether it would be better to go with these or find a more modern work? please help me!

I did my EE on Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. Before that I was going to write it on Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park. My question was going to compare the character traits of the heroines in each of the novels, and what exactly made them unconventional female characters in their time. I ended up doing the same question, but with different books.

Why should the books have to be more modern? Plenty of people write EE's on Shakespeare, you could write one on Homer and the Odyssey if you wanted. Or the Bible for that matter.

You didn't mention your research question. That's the most important thing when considering your EE. You can always change one of your books to suit your question (the books should be ones that you have access to already, unless you want to risk a late start on your EE like a girl in my school did when she ordered from Amazon and the books weren't delivered for several months).

I did my EE on Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights...which were written later than Jane Austen, but still, it's perfectly fine to write about "less modern" works. My advice is to make sure there are plenty of resources available on the books you choose, though.