Need help with picking my subject

Jetcloudz
Go to solution Solved by FieryKetchup,

So I'm going to an IB boarding school in the fall and I just need some help with picking my subjects. I plan to study aerospace/mechanical engineering in college and I guess I'd say colleges like the ivies, oxbridge, russell group and public ivies are my top spot options. So basically I just need help if I made the right choices for my IB courses to study engineering in the US or UK.

1. Physics HL

2. Math AI HL

3. Global Politics HL

4. English Lang and Lit SL

5. French ab initio SL

6. Visual Arts SL

• Solution

OK I just finished Year 11 and I'm going into IB after the Summer break. So I don't have first hand experience with anything but my school has fed us a load of IB information in preparation for next year. I think you might wanna switch the math IA to AA HL. I have heard it's very hard (the AA HL class started out with 22 students and finished with 6 because people kept dropping out due to the difficulty) but if you are good at math and confident in your abilities to do well in the class then I suggest you go for it. Because it will set you apart from the other students and make you look better in front of them. I also did a bit of research and it said you might wanna take either Bio or Chem HL (in addition to Math and Phys HL). This is however not mandatory it is just "better" if the third HL you took is Bio or Chem. However I also want to warn you that Chem HL I have heard is very difficult so just watch out.

59 minutes ago, FieryKetchup said:

OK I just finished Year 11 and I'm going into IB after the Summer break. So I don't have first hand experience with anything but my school has fed us a load of IB information in preparation for next year. I think you might wanna switch the math IA to AA HL. I have heard it's very hard (the AA HL class started out with 22 students and finished with 6 because people kept dropping out due to the difficulty) but if you are good at math and confident in your abilities to do well in the class then I suggest you go for it. Because it will set you apart from the other students and make you look better in front of them. I also did a bit of research and it said you might wanna take either Bio or Chem HL (in addition to Math and Phys HL). This is however not mandatory it is just "better" if the third HL you took is Bio or Chem. However I also want to warn you that Chem HL I have heard is very difficult so just watch out.

Ah ok thanks for the suggestion mate. But would it be any disadvantage if I take math AI HL? What if I take Math AA SL? 

On 6/29/2021 at 9:57 PM, Jetcloudz said:

Ah ok thanks for the suggestion mate. But would it be any disadvantage if I take math AI HL? What if I take Math AA SL? 

If you were to choose engineering, id advise AA HL. AA HL is more for people who really want to pursue careers involving math, because it's the highest level of math that you could take at IB. As a result, that does mean it's the most difficult, but once again, if you're confident in your abilities you can do it! In terms of AI HL: 

AI HL —> pre-meds, economics, statistics, data science etc, chemistry (although some uni’s don’t accept this as enough for certain science courses).

Have a look at this IB subreddit and see if it helps: https://www.reddit.com/r/IBO/comments/g12uov/math_ai_hl_or_math_aa_for_engineering_and_business/