Non-experimental biology extended essay

lhojin0312

Hello, 

I am a DP1 student taking biology HL. I chose to do my EE on biology, however, I am still unsure of my topic... We were already submitted our proposals, but the topic I initially chose is far too challenging for me, as I chose "antibiotic resistance in bacteria", I thought I would be able to conduct this experiment, but the more I researched, I was not able to get anywhere. So I am now considering a non-experimental route, but I heard that it is really hard to get a good grade or even pass through this method. I have a topic in mind, and it would concern the developmental stages of a specific species. I know this would be impossible to do in a lab, so it would have to be research based, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback :)

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, lhojin0312 said:

Hello, 

I am a DP1 student taking biology HL. I chose to do my EE on biology, however, I am still unsure of my topic... We were already submitted our proposals, but the topic I initially chose is far too challenging for me, as I chose "antibiotic resistance in bacteria", I thought I would be able to conduct this experiment, but the more I researched, I was not able to get anywhere. So I am now considering a non-experimental route, but I heard that it is really hard to get a good grade or even pass through this method. I have a topic in mind, and it would concern the developmental stages of a specific species. I know this would be impossible to do in a lab, so it would have to be research based, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback :)

I don't think antibiotics resistance is not doable, think about e coli and simple bacteria which your school lab can provide. there are ofc numerous approach hence why you may get confused as you dig down, but a good ee doesn't require you to invent new drugs or whatever, it asks you to write a scientific report in a scientific manner