HELP another IB student plagarized my lab

inthebanks

Today, my Biology teacher came up and talked to me and another student about how I labs were exactly the same, other than the name, of course.

She went into this big thing about how if they sent it to IBO and the people found this then both of our IB diplomas would be rejected. We also both got zeros.

Now, what happened was, this student was confused on the lab and asked to see mine. As you can imagine, that's not exactly what ended up happening with the lab...but I had no knowledge of this.

The same student had also asked to see a few other labs, and so I'm planning on seeing which ones I emailed and then informing my Biology teacher about those so that they can be checked; I don't know if the student copied those ones, also.

How should I go about in this situation? Suing the student for plagiarism? ;) Just kidding, I won't take it that far.

I'll post the same response that I posted on TSR:

Show the teacher the emails and any other proof that the labs are yours so that there is no doubt in your teacher's mind that it was the other student who plagiarized and not you. I'd imagine the student will get into a lot of **** with your IBC, etc, but that's their problem and they deserve it.

If necessary, talk to your principal if your biology teacher has informed others about what happened. And also talk to your classmate that plagiarized, ask them to own up to what they did and make it clear that you won't put up with him/her using you like this. Everyone has to do their own work, and you were kind enough to help them a bit and show them an example. If they repaid you by copying your work and trying to pretend they didn't, then that person isn't worth your time/friendship.

Obviously, don't lend your reports or any essays out again. I generally don't give my work to classmates to read, because even if they don't consciously plagiarize, our essays can subconsciously end up having the same tone and similar phrasing.

thanks for the replies.

My teacher said this, i think after she figured out that it wasn't ME doing the copying.

"Thank you for that information. I understand you were probably trying to help Jenny and I applaud those efforts. It is indeed a shame that this happened. That being said, IB does not make a distinction between the person who does the copying and the person who allows the coping to be done L. Please realize that you signed a code of ethics contract when you signed up for IB and I expect you to follow that.

Please see me today so that I can discuss this with you in person."

• 2 weeks later...

i give my lab reports to students as references and i trust them as not to plagarise my work ! i hope they dont though ! and i would never plagirse any student's work as i would feel i havent made any acheivments ! and IB is about working hard! so if u dont want to work hard then why go to IB ?

If you did it in word, the file contains information about its creator. You can tell the teacher to ask the other student to give her an electronic copy of the lab and then you can show the teacher that it still has your information.

File>Properties

You can see the author among a few other useless things.

I agree with SharkSpider. Do not let weaker candidates than you see too much of your work because unlike people who're on the same level as you, they won't simply be making a few alterations to their own, but will end up having to take a huge chunk of your ideas! Sad but true.

Yeah i agree.

I have this friend who always ALWAYS ask for help with her writeups and IOP etc etc. I give her help and guide her but I absolutely refuse to give her my write-ups.

I know she's going to copy even though she doesn't mean it. It's a subconscious thing.

So please don't ever give out your work. Our school is quite pedantic about plagarism. Last year I was sitting in the science office, catching up with a test I missed. The Head of faculty was going through every single IA and found 2 that are identical. Of course both students got 0.

Watch out for yourself first (I know that sounds so selfish) but really, your IB mark is more important than you being TOO nice.

• 3 weeks later...

My biology teacher just gave a massive lecture during hour class about lending work to others. she seemed a lot smarter than she looked cause she's like don't send your entire write up trying to be nice if your lab partner hasn't got the result because in the end he'll probably just use the whole thing. This is exactly what happened about 1 week ago in another class, and my teacher failed the person who copied and gave a passing grade to the lender (D) to teach him a lesson.

Personally if sum1 asks me 4 help i just tell them exactly what 2 do with a few hints and ideas, but avoid showing my work, unless its sum1 i can trust, while at the same time trying not to be tight. But its only fair as i put several hours of effort into my work and I'm not going to fail for a dumb reason like that.