Is monologue a good choice for IOP?

chokophilia

Hi Everyone!

My IOP is due in a week and a bit and I was wondering if a monologue or a soliloquy would be a good choice

Most of my classmates are thinking of doing analytical IOPs and I wanted to do something different besides the usual commentary analysis

Also, how would it be marked as I cannot provide any analysis on literary effects on the novel thru monologue

Any response would be awesome! Thanks!! :D

My IOP is also due in a week and I'm doing an analytical one, but a lot of people in my class are doing creative ones. I think monologues and soliloquies can be as high-scoring as "formal" ones, but you have to analyse literary effects whatever way of talking you choose, at least that's how I understand it. That was one the reasons for me deciding to not do a creative one. Probably a creative IOP would be more fun for your class mates, though :D

Hopefully there's someone in here who did a good creative IOP and can tell you more about it.

The thing with doing a creative IOP is that you have to include a very detailed rationale explaining how you thought when you created the piece you presented. In that rationale you should analyse literary features and themes and whatever it is that you have based your own piece on. So you will need to keep the monologue or whatever you choose to do quite short, because the analysis part shouldn't be too short, since that is where you actually show what you know.

I think it's as good as any other kind of IOP type; mine went very well, and I find that many people think it is easier to talk coherently about something they have created themselves.

So the marking thing is actually done on your analysis of your own work, rather than on your work itself.

Good luck!

I think it's as good as any other kind of IOP type; mine went very well, and I find that many people think it is easier to talk coherently about something they have created themselves.

Two other advantages with doing a creative is that you don't necessarily have to speak in this formal way, and some people say that they get less nervous when they don't have to be themselves.

But you will have to be yourself, and you should speak formally while presenting your rationale. Additionally, you should -not- ditch grammar and vocabulary in the creative piece unless you have a reason for it from the literary work you're basing it off! You will still be assessed using the same criteria as everybody else, and the same as for the IOC, so language is still of importance.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: I used three parts in my IOP. First I said that I had created a poem, and outlined what I had tried to do. Then I read out my poem. After that I spent a large proportion of the 15 minutes on analysing what I had done and how in quite a lot of detail. It was very much like the Written Tasks for A2 languages, in case you're familiar with them; a creative part and a rationale.

During the presentation of your creative piece, you should be in character if it is a monologue, I guess. But during the rationale you should be yourself, and you should make an effort to speak correctly and have a good structure to your analysis! Make sure that you read through the Assessment Criteria.

OK, I see your points. But if you do a creative you can pretend that you're someone else for at least parts of it. I don't know which novels you read for Part 4, but the novel we read that it seems like most people are doing their IOP on is Kim Novak badade aldrig i Genesarets sjö and they don't speak very formally in that one! But perhaps it can be hard switching from "language appropriate to the situation" to formal language. Anyway, mine is not creative.

Hello! I just completed my IOP a few days ago. I did a monologue on the novel, The Things They Carried. My English teacher was a fan of war stories. I suggest the same, really follow your rubric. For us, I had to include a rationale at the end of mine in which I said why I chose to do a monologue on this character and how it helps us understand the novel better. That's the basic gist of it. I ended up getting a 95% on my IOP which is a 7. If you have any other questions, ask away!

Hello! I just completed my IOP a few days ago. I did a monologue on the novel, The Things They Carried. My English teacher was a fan of war stories. I suggest the same, really follow your rubric. For us, I had to include a rationale at the end of mine in which I said why I chose to do a monologue on this character and how it helps us understand the novel better. That's the basic gist of it. I ended up getting a 95% on my IOP which is a 7. If you have any other questions, ask away!

O.o Our teacher told us she wasn't allowed to tell us our grades.

O.o Our teacher told us she wasn't allowed to tell us our grades.

That is school policy only; our teachers have decided the same, but it is not stipulated by the IBO. Our teachers argue that we are less stressed before the IOC if we don't know how we did in the IOP (and how much we need to make up for it), and that we're less stressed before the final exams if we don't know what our previous work was worth. I think there's a fine line; I would feel better if I knew I'd done super well and didn't have to get 25/25 on the exam papers to get a good grade in the end, but I'd probably go in and fail the finals if I knew I'd done horribly bad. So because of that many teachers/schools choose not to reveal results to anybody.

That is school policy only; our teachers have decided the same, but it is not stipulated by the IBO. Our teachers argue that we are less stressed before the IOC if we don't know how we did in the IOP (and how much we need to make up for it), and that we're less stressed before the final exams if we don't know what our previous work was worth. I think there's a fine line; I would feel better if I knew I'd done super well and didn't have to get 25/25 on the exam papers to get a good grade in the end, but I'd probably go in and fail the finals if I knew I'd done horribly bad. So because of that many teachers/schools choose not to reveal results to anybody.

Ugh, our teacher told us it was IBO policy! >< I knew she didn't know what she was talking about.

Hi Everyone!

My IOP is due in a week and a bit and I was wondering if a monologue or a soliloquy would be a good choice

Most of my classmates are thinking of doing analytical IOPs and I wanted to do something different besides the usual commentary analysis

Also, how would it be marked as I cannot provide any analysis on literary effects on the novel thru monologue

Any response would be awesome! Thanks!! :)

GO FOR IT. I was planning on doing a monologue for my IOP, but I ended up doing an analytical one, and I kinda regret it now. x.x If you can write an interesting monologue, definitely do it.

As far as the analytical part goes, I say break it up into two parts -- maybe five minutes monologue, five minutes analysis, or maybe 8 minutes monologue, 2 minutes analysis? -- so you can still show that you can analyze whatever topic you're highlighting. ;)

• 1 month later...