Separate IB subjects

catchme.kittens

hey guys,

i was just wondering if anyone knew if we are allowed to take separate IB exams to get a certificate in that course...for example, since i am in the IB dip, i can't take business stud. HL, however, i would be very interested in taking it...i know that you can do this for AP so was wondering if anyone could suggest me if we are allowed to do that and if yes, when are the deadlines to register?

thnx in advance for any help!

k...thnx...i'll ask that ASAP...so this means that at least this kind of thing does exist in IB...btw...if anyone has ever taken a separate course i would really appreciate if they could advise if i shud take it or not...i m planning to take it in either econ HL or busins studies HL...either one...or if ppl could just tell me in general how hard the course material is in these courses...thnx!

The IB programme definitely allows extra certificates, I don't know if your school does or not though! Almost all of the diploma candidates at our school take an extra science. The only problem was that they scheduled some of the classes at the same time, so they wound had to attend each class every second day. It depends what the rest of your courses are like, if you are finding yourself overloaded right now, you probably don't want to throw something else into the mix, but if you are doing fine and you don't think you will have trouble in that class, than give it a go! Also, look at how the syllabis compare, as one class might be easy for you if you're taking something that covers similiar topics.

My school definitely doesn't let us do extra certificates, they advise against 4 HLs, but I have seen on TSR, people who have done 7 subjects.

At my school 7 subjects is quite common, although not encouraged. I guess thats because our students tend to be academically very talented, our averages in final exams are 38-39 every year. Also, about 60% of the students in my class take 4 HLs, and I think two have 4 HLs and 3SLs.

EDIT: Out of curiousity, are non-regulatory diplomas common in other schools? These are diplomas in which you select three group 4 (experimental sciences) subjects, leaving out social sciences. In our school, the students who want to go to med school do this and pick chem, bio and physics.

Edited by deissi