Percentage uncertainty

Tilia

We did a lab about how much ethanoic acid vinegar contained. Since the value stated on the vinegar bottle was in percent, I gave my answer in percent, but now I don't know how to state the uncertainty.

According to our measurements, 6.2 % of the vinegar was ethanoic acid and the percentage uncertainty was 7.203 %. If I write
6.2 % plusminus 7.203 %, does that mean that 7.203 is "the percentage uncertainty of the percentage value"?

Or should I write
6.2 % plusminus 0.4 %, like the percentage as the unit?

I'm quite confused and the report is due Monday, can someone help me out, please?

:hmmph:

By the way, titration can only be used for acid/bases, right?

Edited by Tilia

[quote name='KLSmash' post='37600' date='Feb 21 2009, 02:38 PM']Whatever volume of vinegar you used, take 6.2% of that and that's your volume of ethanoic acid. Now, calculate 7.203% of the volume of the ethanoic acid, and that would be your uncertainty for it.

So if you used 100mL of vinegar, you'd have 6.2 +- 0.5 mL[/quote]

Yeah, I know. But since literature value was in percent, I presented my answer as percentage too. Or is there some rule saying that I shouldn't do that?

[quote name='Tilia' post='37591' date='Feb 21 2009, 01:20 PM']By the way, titration can only be used for acid/bases, right?[/quote]

it can be used for acid and base neutralization reactions but other reactions can also be applied to titrimetry. there are several techniques. A familiar one may be redox reaction titrations.
So it is not ONLy for acid/bases

[quote name='Tilia' post='37591' date='Feb 21 2009, 01:20 PM']Or should I write
6.2 % plusminus 0.4 %, like the percentage as the unit?[/quote]
I think that this is the correct answer. If the initial data is given in % you have to present your results in % (if they don't give other instructions). If you take this 0.4% of absolute uncertainty, it will be a correct value for all volumes [e.g. if you have 2L, it will be (0.124+-0.008)L].