How to answer a paper 3 question

zYvy

Hey there. Well, obviously it depends on the question, but usually some kind of evaluation will earn you points. You know, things like strengths and weaknesses really make you seem like you know what you are talking about. Go to cranepsych.com under IB Psychology, Paper III. Scroll down and there are two pdf files. One's a "workbook" and the other one's like a guide to all the different research methods. Really concise and helpful when it lists all the evaluations. Makes it easier to remember.
Also, you don't have to include real studies in your answer. If you want to demonstrate a point, you can come up with a hypothetical example. Remember, it's all about the description of the method and then an evaluation. What I did for my mocks was basically describe the method they outline and then give the strengths and weaknesses. Make contrasts or comparisons if you can (but make sure they're proper ones! lol)
Hope that was a help! Just remember to read the question ;)

• 1 month later...

The first few questions are pretty much definition and what not, so know how to do that and learn a few examples. For the last few questions you should write everything step-by-step. For example, maybe first you want to identify a target population...define it...how are you going to sample them? What's the strengths and weaknesses of each sampling method etc... Just remember that there's no one way of doing it, so all together you're just making plenty of suggestions!

[quote name='Flippy' post='38161' date='Feb 25 2009, 07:50 PM']Go to cranepsych.com under IB Psychology, Paper III. Scroll down and there are two pdf files. One's a "workbook" and the other one's like a guide to all the different research methods. Really concise and helpful when it lists all the evaluations. Makes it easier to remember.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for this link Flippy, extremely helpful stuff. Anyone taking IB Psychology should check it out.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Flippy' post='38161' date='Feb 25 2009, 05:50 PM']Hey there. Well, obviously it depends on the question, but usually some kind of evaluation will earn you points. You know, things like strengths and weaknesses really make you seem like you know what you are talking about. Go to cranepsych.com under IB Psychology, Paper III. Scroll down and there are two pdf files. One's a "workbook" and the other one's like a guide to all the different research methods. Really concise and helpful when it lists all the evaluations. Makes it easier to remember.
Also, you don't have to include real studies in your answer. If you want to demonstrate a point, you can come up with a hypothetical example. Remember, it's all about the description of the method and then an evaluation. What I did for my mocks was basically describe the method they outline and then give the strengths and weaknesses. Make contrasts or comparisons if you can (but make sure they're proper ones! lol)
Hope that was a help! Just remember to read the question :D [/quote]

(We never had mocks.. I wish I were at a better school. My school has IB but is more focused on just the American diploma. Eh.)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! That was really helpful