Music or Chem EE?

Zakiyyah

I'm currently deciding whether to do an EE on Chemistry or Music. I like both subjects, so I don't really know which to choose. I know that doing a Chem EE will be more challenging than Music, since we're going to have to conduct lots of experiements and risk % errors and stuff, which is tougher compared to doing a Music EE. I don't really know which to choose...

Any advice? :dunno:

Thanks. :D

At the end it is really your choice, but if I were you, I would analyze the possible topics you can choose in each area and develop possible hypothesis around them. Since you say you like both, my choice will probably be based in how easy, relevant, actual, (also the amount of info. you can find about it) the topic is and if you already have possible ways to prove your hypothesis. Hope you find that useful.

I don't think it's necessarily to say if one is harder than the other. I've chosen to do a Music EE, and boy; it's hard. I mean, everytime I try to figure out a topic, I start researching a bit on it (though I can't find much information), I have a meeting with my EE mentor and then my whole idea changes into something completely different. However, once you do get started, it's not really that difficult (at least, I hope it's not), since it's only the analysis that's left.

For both EEs however, I think that the organization and structure at the beginning of the process is EXTREMELY important because everything that you do afterwards is completely based on it. That's why I'm taking as much time as possible deciding on a good topic, therefore my chance at success will be greater. It also depends on how advanced you are in Music Theory, because my EE Mentor hates to accept students who have little to no music theory.

I think that is a very good point to make, by the both of you. I actually have zero advice for music theory. I can sing in a local choir, and that is about it. As for the the chem EE, you really should explore the topics. Like you mentioned, it is relatively difficult to carry out the proper steps for a successful EE in group 4 subjects. there are several components involved. My advice to you would be, under these pre-existing notions, develop several topics for your adviser(s). Ask which one has the biggest amout of potential to score, and always, always - work out your experimental design for group 4 before u solidify your topic. a major roadblock to some people.

Thanks a lot guys for your advice! EE sounds a bit intimidating to me now...

I've found one topic for Chemistry already, but if I had a topic for Music, I'd definitely go for Music instead, mainly because I know my interest in Music is definitely greater than Chemistry. Starting to get a bit nervous because the deadline for my first proposal is next week, and I still don't have a solid idea.

Thanks again though!!

Thanks a lot guys for your advice! EE sounds a bit intimidating to me now...

I've found one topic for Chemistry already, but if I had a topic for Music, I'd definitely go for Music instead, mainly because I know my interest in Music is definitely greater than Chemistry. Starting to get a bit nervous because the deadline for my first proposal is next week, and I still don't have a solid idea.

Thanks again though!!

You could do something like Person A's influence on Person B or how a composer developed a specific style of piece.

forgive me if I am wrong, but the implications behind such a topic are massive. I think a finely tuned (haha) essay is requered in music still =)
Well that's just a very broad topic obviously. You'd narrow it down to probably their biggest piece or pieces, and analyze their compositional techniques and the differences and similarities.

i would say music,

because i myself was originally doing a group 4 ee (biol) and after a while you begin to realise that experiments are a pain to prepare and conduct. well maybe just for bio because mine was to do with human subjects (don't worry i was only doing blood pressure and stuff) and people just weren't being co-operative.

but in order to make you mind up i would list the pro's and con's of each to see which one you would be able to handle better

and also maybe run through your ideas for chem ee with your teachers and see if there are any valid experiments that you could easily do

good luck choosing!