Math E.E ...?

littleone

Well, my school's conducting an EE workshop tomorrow, and we're apparently starting work on our EE tomorrow. Surprisingly, i'm pretty excited!
Okay, so initially, i had taken Biology HL, but then i realized that my love for phycis simply over powered every thought i had doing biology and it soon became IMPOSSIBLE to keep away from my LOVE *cough* Physics. ^_^
Well, that's not entirely the point, and i'm sorry if this is Spam. -_-
So, I was just wondering. I love math. MATH MATH MATH.
I am aware that it's very rare that E.E have been done in Mathematics. But i really like math, i really want to do my E.E in math .. and yeah, i've gotta admit, partly -or very larger- because it's very unusual.
But i just can't seem to think about what i could possibly do it on. I love trigonometry. So i'm looking at that.
but physics! physics calls out to me too! And i was thinking, i would do my E.E in physics too. Though, i'm looking more into Math than anything.
So, basically the question i'm asking here (FINALLY!) is, whether it's advisable... AND what are the possible topics i could do it on.. and how would i go about it?
Have you heard of math E.Es before? If so, what was the outcome? and is it possible to score well...?

Thanks my fellow IBians!

It is possible to score well on them, you just have to be committed to the topic which U choose.
Physics EE would require experimental data :] so make sure you are up for that.
A possible one would be looking at a certain equation and checking its validity + applying it to certain things (somethnig new never done before)
Math ee at my school, someone tried to do one, and as a group we all jumped at basically insulted them and told them they were not cut out for it :/ It was highly sensitive as a subject, and not many advisers are willing to go through that kind of strenuous work, especially if its one that is not involved in mathematics.

So look around for topic ideas, as in your math book and try to come up with something - jsut know that it has to be original and the most successful ones are those along the lines of finding a new way to interpret mathematics.

Oh, you 1rst year IBers, sometimes you can be funny :dunno: . Excited about starting your EE? That's good, I only hope you will keep that enthusiasm when the freaking EE is driving you mad :D !!!! Just kidding (or not?).Doing your EE in math is nothing from other world, actually most of the times teachers tell us that it is easier than everyone thinks! It all depends on what topic you choose to do it in. In my school, a boy was only proving that a certain formula did work, and he stuck so well to the criteria that with a very simple topic he got an A.

Biochem: Oh... that's not very nice. :D Hmmm..... yes, will do that. Thanks!

Aether: Really? All the teachers (except the math teacher, surprisingly) are all "Noooooo don't do it in math NOOOOO the world will come to an end!" saying it's very hard to score in. But then again, i'm not going to do my EE in a subject that i don't really want to do it on just because some old fogies (no offense, i have immense respect for [some of] my teachers) say you're not going to get good enough grades. I mean, it's not ALWAYS about the grades... right...? :angry:
.. okay so, maybe it is. But i'd prefer researching on something interesting and getting a pretty average grade, than researching and doing extensive work on something that really doesn't matter to me.
Would you happen to know what that boy in your school's research question was?

Well my math teacher superviosed a student from another school [He is a part timer in 2 schools] so the kid was known all around jordan he scored a 45 i guess and did his in Math that had to do with ITGS!! YES i know werid! What im trying to say do sth you LOVE so that you can do good in and STICK TO CRITERIA MAN!!!! ALSO another tip the seniors told me Treat the EE as your baby : Meaning haveing extra back up dont be shy to ask EVERY MATH teacher in the school to have a look at it....Possible OUTISDE help frm other schools.. GOOD LUCK on it and respect you for doing what you want and now what everone else telling you to do

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='littleone' post='37450' date='Feb 20 2009, 10:08 AM']Biochem: Oh... that's not very nice. :( Hmmm..... yes, will do that. Thanks!

Aether: Really? All the teachers (except the math teacher, surprisingly) are all "Noooooo don't do it in math NOOOOO the world will come to an end!" saying it's very hard to score in. But then again, i'm not going to do my EE in a subject that i don't really want to do it on just because some old fogies (no offense, i have immense respect for [some of] my teachers) say you're not going to get good enough grades. I mean, it's not ALWAYS about the grades... right...? :)
.. okay so, maybe it is. But i'd prefer researching on something interesting and getting a pretty average grade, than researching and doing extensive work on something that really doesn't matter to me.
Would you happen to know what that boy in your school's research question was?[/quote]

I will try to ask the teacher about it, but I don't promise anything, that teacher is known for suspecting of plagiarism about absolutely EVERYTHING, so maybe she won't tell.

[quote name='littleone' post='37076' date='Feb 16 2009, 10:32 PM']Well, my school's conducting an EE workshop tomorrow, and we're apparently starting work on our EE tomorrow. Surprisingly, i'm pretty excited!
Okay, so initially, i had taken Biology HL, but then i realized that my love for phycis simply over powered every thought i had doing biology and it soon became IMPOSSIBLE to keep away from my LOVE *cough* Physics. :sick:
Well, that's not entirely the point, and i'm sorry if this is Spam. :)
So, I was just wondering. I love math. MATH MATH MATH.
I am aware that it's very rare that E.E have been done in Mathematics. But i really like math, i really want to do my E.E in math .. and yeah, i've gotta admit, partly -or very larger- because it's very unusual.
But i just can't seem to think about what i could possibly do it on. I love trigonometry. So i'm looking at that.
but physics! physics calls out to me too! And i was thinking, i would do my E.E in physics too. Though, i'm looking more into Math than anything.
So, basically the question i'm asking here (FINALLY!) is, whether it's advisable... AND what are the possible topics i could do it on.. and how would i go about it?
Have you heard of math E.Es before? If so, what was the outcome? and is it possible to score well...?

Thanks my fellow IBians![/quote]

dude, i'm in a similar situation man. just that in place of physics its computers and in place of biology is physics. and i still haven't found a good math topic. i have a good computer topic, i'd love to do it, but math is LOVE. moreover, the lack of a word limit (short essays are better) and the fact that i'd get a great advisor for the math essay pull me further to it. i have a couple of ideas, but i dont think they're good enough. 1. Probability in gaming. 2. Game theory. of course these are quite broad, need to be narrowed. tell me if you get smhtin.

ps. what school do you go to?

hey i'm in the same boat as you guys!! i wanna do my ee in math cause i am in love with the subject but i cant do anything that's related with physics cause i havent done physics since grade 8 (i'm in grade 11 now). i'm also looking to do something in gaming since i am going to be studying computer science after ib and i equally love gaming!! so the game theory seems good but i have no idea how to narrow it down. if you guys get any ideas, let me know!

i may also need a backup just in case my supervisor (whoever he may be) thinks its a bit too... much...