thanks for everything these past four years <3

hey guys! i haven't been the most active on this site, but throughout high school it was a HUGE help surviving IB. i got so much invaluable info here and wanted to express my gratitude to this site and everyone on it for making this community so amazing.

if you're curious, i ended up with a 38/45 overall: 7 - HL english, SL spanish; 6 - SL math, HL bio; 5 - SL history; 4 - SL art; A - EE, B - TOK

even though the end of this year was so much different than I anticipated (than ANY of us did, probably), i'm proud to have made it through and want to say congratulations to all the other class of 2020 grads :) and for the class of 2021, i know your last year might be incredibly different as well, but know you've got a strong community to back you and i wish you all the best of luck

cheers, all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers! 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:13 AM, IBcat said:

Wow that's an amazing score!!! 

Congrats...

What did write your EE on? And could you please share your IA experiences. It would be very useful.

🙂

thank you! that means a lot! my ee was on biblical archetypes in Cormac McCarthy's The Road, and it was actually an incredibly fun paper to write. for my ias, each was a very different experience, so if you have specific questions about any subject pm me because it's a lot to put here! they were stressful but ultimately i worked really hard on them even before knowing that exams would be cancelled just because i figured they'd help balance out my exam scores, which ended up being a really good decision haha.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:42 PM, IBcat said:

I am finding it difficult to brainstorm ideas for my Math and Chem IA. It's pretty frustrating. Any tips??

(warning: incoming word dump)

so math was also a huge struggle for me. while looking up possible topics, I (quite stupidly) picked the first topic I saw: codes/ciphers. this topic is done quite a lot from what I have heard, so how I got a 6 is beyond my comprehension. but I did connect to myself personally in a way that I can only assume was very convincing to the grader (because I was actually very interested in the topic), which I believe helped a good deal. anyways, I would start perusing the internet for past papers and topics, and see if any of them fit your interests. make sure you can connect it to yourself well, whether through personal interest or past experience, and also make sure it's within your mathematical understanding. I think the most complex my paper got was chi-squared, but that counted as an exploration of math beyond the curriculum, which is what mattered. population ecology papers seem to be a good way to go as well if that interests you.

or, if none of those topics quite do the trick for ya, find a topic that's not even mathematical that you like, and find math in it. one friend of mine chose a physics topic and then just focused on the math parts, while another friend used a video game she loves and did an analysis of the probability of getting a certain item in the game. there is math to be found in just about anything!

as for chem, I didn't take the class but I did take bio. my self-designed project had to be scrapped because it used live animals, leaving me scrambling for a topic last second. my teacher basically gave me a binder of ap bio experiments, and I chose one about lipase that I could connect well to myself and actually had an interesting time of it. I did end up changing pieces of the experiment to fit the IB curriculum and make it original, so whatever you do make sure you're not copying something too directly. I would reach out to your teacher to see if they have any resourcces, or if not take a look at all the available college-level chem experiments online (ap, de, a-level, actual college courses, etc.) seriously, the internet will be your best friend during the ias.

I know you'll do great no matter what you choose, and best of luck to you on these papers!

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, introspectivebeat said:

(warning: incoming word dump)

so math was also a huge struggle for me. while looking up possible topics, I (quite stupidly) picked the first topic I saw: codes/ciphers. this topic is done quite a lot from what I have heard, so how I got a 6 is beyond my comprehension. but I did connect to myself personally in a way that I can only assume was very convincing to the grader (because I was actually very interested in the topic), which I believe helped a good deal. anyways, I would start perusing the internet for past papers and topics, and see if any of them fit your interests. make sure you can connect it to yourself well, whether through personal interest or past experience, and also make sure it's within your mathematical understanding. I think the most complex my paper got was chi-squared, but that counted as an exploration of math beyond the curriculum, which is what mattered. population ecology papers seem to be a good way to go as well if that interests you.

or, if none of those topics quite do the trick for ya, find a topic that's not even mathematical that you like, and find math in it. one friend of mine chose a physics topic and then just focused on the math parts, while another friend used a video game she loves and did an analysis of the probability of getting a certain item in the game. there is math to be found in just about anything!

as for chem, I didn't take the class but I did take bio. my self-designed project had to be scrapped because it used live animals, leaving me scrambling for a topic last second. my teacher basically gave me a binder of ap bio experiments, and I chose one about lipase that I could connect well to myself and actually had an interesting time of it. I did end up changing pieces of the experiment to fit the IB curriculum and make it original, so whatever you do make sure you're not copying something too directly. I would reach out to your teacher to see if they have any resourcces, or if not take a look at all the available college-level chem experiments online (ap, de, a-level, actual college courses, etc.) seriously, the internet will be your best friend during the ias.

I know you'll do great no matter what you choose, and best of luck to you on these papers!

Thanks a bunch!!!

I definitely think this is gonna help me!!!

• Good Luck 1