Is it legitimate to write an IB Extended Essay in Biology on the topic of Autism focused on Asperger's syndrome?

loveinthiscity

Hi everyone,

we just started getting ready for the EE today, and everyone has been scrambling to find supervisor teachers; i decided that i would settle for Biology since many teachers are already filled with students.

i would actually like to write my EE in psychology however my school does not reccommend writing a psychology essay due to lack of any psychology courses. I figured, since Asperger's Syndrome is a neurobiological syndrome, it could relate to the subject of Biology?

I was just wondering also, how would i go about writing a Biology extended essay on Asperger's syndrome because it's not really a lab that i could conduct, so is it possible to just cover some major topics related to the syndrome?

thanks!

To do an extended essay on science, you have to be able to perform a lab and use that as evidence towards answering your question/topic. You should talk to your science teacher or advisor about your topic and decision. Maybe you can gather statistics about how often children are born with this syndrome and use it to predict how many more children will be born with it? I don't know. These are just suggestions. Good luck!

[quote name='steam.rice.sally' post='36601' date='Feb 13 2009, 01:47 AM']To do an extended essay on science, you have to be able to perform a lab and use that as evidence towards answering your question/topic. You should talk to your science teacher or advisor about your topic and decision. Maybe you can gather statistics about how often children are born with this syndrome and use it to predict how many more children will be born with it? I don't know. These are just suggestions. Good luck![/quote]

Not necessarily a lab, it can be a poll, interviews, anything that relates best to your objectives. However, your ee does seem too descriptive, and biology ee's do need a lot of analysis of the results.

The guidelines:

strongly suggest experimental data, feasible and performed by the candidate.

Seem to, okay my interpretation, suggest to stay away from medical-related topics. Because as explicitly stated, medical-related topics tend to undulate if you will, between bio and chem (+ physics).

I would strongly suggest adhering to their guidelines entirely, as Biology is one of the difficult subjects to cover. Marks are not easily met, and I have never heard of a paper that was not so concrete on experimental data. Like I may have stated before, somewhere else :) , my adviser would reject that instantly. She tends to be harsh :/ and wants only scores above 30. Otherwise, she tells you, do an English paper :P