Extended Essay Format?

irenesme

Does the Extended Essay have to be written in a specific format? I always thought that it was supposed to just be in a regular research paper format (many of my classmates think the same).

Now it seems that it needs an abstract, contents page, separate introuction, and some other stuff. I have no idea what these are or how they are supposed to be written.

I am in dire need of an example of the Extended Essay preferably one in Group 1 subject.
My school gave me a packet on the EE that instructs on (how to pick a subject, how to pick a topic, responsibilities of the student, how to research, etc.)but it has no sample EE.

I checked the freeexampapers website for extended essay examples but I found none.

Anyone able to help?

Since you're VIP now, you have probably already looked at samples. But yes, it does have to be and if it isn't you lose marks.

There must be a cover page (look at Hien's for an example of what needs to be on there), an abstract before the contents page whose word limit is 300 and does not count for the 4000 words. The abstract summarises your essay; what your thesis is, your main arguments, and what conclusion you reach in the end.

Then is a table of contents, an introduction to your essay that is included in the word limit, and then you start your essay. At the end you write a conclusion that is also part of the word count, and you must have a bibliography. If you have large chunks of text (like interviews, data tables, primary sources) that are vital to your EE, you include them in an appendix and can refer to them in your EE, like "(see Appendix I). You must also cite your sources throughout the text, either in footnotes or using the MLA/Turabian/Harvard style of citation.

[quote name='Vvi' post='36181' date='Feb 9 2009, 02:44 PM']Since you're VIP now, you have probably already looked at samples. But yes, it does have to be and if it isn't you lose marks.

There must be a cover page (look at Hien's for an example of what needs to be on there), an abstract before the contents page whose word limit is 300 and does not count for the 4000 words. The abstract summarises your essay; what your thesis is, your main arguments, and what conclusion you reach in the end.

Then is a table of contents, an introduction to your essay that is included in the word limit, and then you start your essay. At the end you write a conclusion that is also part of the word count, and you must have a bibliography. If you have large chunks of text (like interviews, data tables, primary sources) that are vital to your EE, you include them in an appendix and can refer to them in your EE, like "(see Appendix I). You must also cite your sources throughout the text, either in footnotes or using the MLA/Turabian/Harvard style of citation.[/quote]
Thanks, its nice to know that the abstract doesn't count towards the 4000 word limit. Im writing my EE now and I am definietly going to exceed word limit.

i hope you guys do understand that the abstract MUST have three things. you need to state your question with a "?" like state your actual question in your abstract. and then you need to explain your process of writing your EE and then you need a conclusion. your abstract doesnt simply discuss your thesis, argument and conclusion.