TOPIC HELP!

cashinapig

I'm having tons of trouble coming up with a good extended essay topic in various subjects, so I'm turning to History =P

I'd just like some input on this idea:

The influence of pointed arches on [architecture/society/art] in Europe

^^might be a little broad, but depending on which of the three I choose, I'll narrow down "Europe" into something more specific, maybe?

I'm thinking about what accompanied the idea of arches in that time, and developments from it..

Any input is awesome. Thanks =)

I'm having tons of trouble coming up with a good extended essay topic in various subjects, so I'm turning to History =P

I'd just like some input on this idea:

The influence of pointed arches on [architecture/society/art] in Europe

^^might be a little broad, but depending on which of the three I choose, I'll narrow down "Europe" into something more specific, maybe?

I'm thinking about what accompanied the idea of arches in that time, and developments from it..

Any input is awesome. Thanks =)

You should be really careful with this topic it seem like it can overlap into The Arts.

I'm not sure on this, but I think that if your EE overlaps into two subject areas then the examiners won't even give you a grade on it.

Irenesme, it doesn't really overlap with art. There's a section in history that is architecture, and technically it is considered a primary reference if you visit the site and discuss your observations.

I did a topic similar to this for my EE in Arabic B, it was the presence of Islamic elements in the King Abdullah I Mosque in Jordan.

OP: make it more specific, there are many pointed Archs that may have had different influences. Also what do youmean influence? the influence of a certain society that may have created these pointed archs? (which sounds logical) or the influence of the pointed archs on the societies that came along after? (which would be insteresting... but imposible to argue)

also try and specify the era you want to dsicuss, so "in the islamic conquest" or something....

I'd say don't worry about the title for now, do your research, write it, then get a title! so that it's specific enough to reflect your work...

ohhh..I have to agree with Irene that it might seem to overlap. Our school, has taken the initiative to reject these kinds of topics, because the local schools have had kids write a paragon of an EE on a topic, but then they get the marks (and predicted for one of them was a 35 in history) and it was brought down to like 25 I think. So just saying, to be on the safe side, I have in me implemented a negative view on these types of topics. We are constantly reminded. In fact, I sometimes think my initial Bio topic was rejected on the basis of being very biochemical - and not because of the safety parameters.

I strongly feel, if u do have an interest in history, the best EE would be a completely and entirely new topic endemic to your region. I got actually excited to hear that my fellow classmates who signed up for History EE, were doing a paper on our local town (has much development) and different factors and how they have changed. My school is very optimistic about the history EE, since the students are not only getting to interview people who have written literature about infrastructure, but are also using themselves as primary sources (i.e., most of them grew up here). The topics are ridiculously original, narrow, developed and feasible. Something in close proximity to this, would impress a historian.

Best of luck, hope this helped <3 !

Well, I was thinking how it was used by society to further the lines of extravagance during the [Crusades of the] Middle Ages, since that's around the time of the earliest usages of pointed arches in European architecture.

So, even if I went along the lines above, it'd still overlap into the arts? i could, of course, generalize it to all moslem influences.