I want to drop ToK

Joan_B

Im a grade 11 student attempting to complete the IB diploma. The only class that I cannot understand or enjoy is ToK. I am not doing very good grade wise and i just don't understand a lot of the concepts. I don't want to let my friends down by not being able to do group presentations and stuff because I DON'T UNDERSTAND. I don't like the class, the teacher is not helpful and I am considering dropping it completely.

Is IB worth it? Is Tok worth it?

Please help

The good thing about TOK is that it's only a year total. I totally understand where you're coming from; one of the happiest days of my life was when I went to my next semester class that was not TOK. See if your friends can explain any of the concepts, or feel free to ask on here! Do you like other classes that are not TOK? 

I felt exactly the same as you do right now in the first year of IB. I didn't fundamentally understand TOK. I was one of the students who participated in class the least because of what I assumed to be my lack of understanding and I also felt really bad during group presentations because of that, too. To some extent, I still feel the same now.

Contrary to Certified_IB_Cultist, TOK spans for both years of IB at my school, so I'm not sure how it's structured for you. However, I can say that by year 2 of IB, TOK seems to have gotten better over time? Maybe things will start connecting and clicking together down the road, I'd say to give it a bit more time and wait it out. As long as you're putting in your best effort, I don't think anybody can blame you, honestly. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses, and it just so happens that TOK isn't one of ours. I do believe that the teacher makes all the difference, though, in how they approach teaching the TOK concepts.

Even if I'm not particularly good at the subject, I do find that some of the material taught in TOK is pretty interesting to listen to. If you're faring well in your other IB classes, I don't think that you should drop the program entirely just because of TOK. You mentioned having friends in the class—maybe you could ask them for some help? I know it may seem really frustrating right now, but have faith that it'll (hopefully) get better. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice to give, but the least I can do is to wish you all the best!

On 1/30/2020 at 6:49 PM, Certified_IB_Cultist said:

The good thing about TOK is that it's only a year total. I totally understand where you're coming from; one of the happiest days of my life was when I went to my next semester class that was not TOK. See if your friends can explain any of the concepts, or feel free to ask on here! Do you like other classes that are not TOK? 

I do enjoy other IB classes, and I'm not struggling as much as I am in TOK. I have asked friends and will try to copy some notes down and revise. I'm just extra stressed because I have a presentation soon about intuition and understand the very basics, very far from my actual question. PLUS it's a group presentation so if I fail, everyone will be affected. 😕  Thank you for your reply!

On 1/31/2020 at 1:10 AM, Solstice said:

I felt exactly the same as you do right now in the first year of IB. I didn't fundamentally understand TOK. I was one of the students who participated in class the least because of what I assumed to be my lack of understanding and I also felt really bad during group presentations because of that, too. To some extent, I still feel the same now.

Contrary to Certified_IB_Cultist, TOK spans for both years of IB at my school, so I'm not sure how it's structured for you. However, I can say that by year 2 of IB, TOK seems to have gotten better over time? Maybe things will start connecting and clicking together down the road, I'd say to give it a bit more time and wait it out. As long as you're putting in your best effort, I don't think anybody can blame you, honestly. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses, and it just so happens that TOK isn't one of ours. I do believe that the teacher makes all the difference, though, in how they approach teaching the TOK concepts.

Even if I'm not particularly good at the subject, I do find that some of the material taught in TOK is pretty interesting to listen to. If you're faring well in your other IB classes, I don't think that you should drop the program entirely just because of TOK. You mentioned having friends in the class—maybe you could ask them for some help? I know it may seem really frustrating right now, but have faith that it'll (hopefully) get better. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice to give, but the least I can do is to wish you all the best!

Thank you for your reply! It did help somewhat as I actually saw it in my TOK class :) I think I'll try and keep going but there is still a chance I might actually fail the class and therefore not complete IB. Such are the chances I take! Thank you again!