Topic / Discipline

Gizmo

Yah it's been a while since I had my topic / discipline but like most IB kids (that I know), I procrastinated and didn't do much. My initial topic was something in the lines of:

The affect of Confucianism on the Western society blah blah..

Then talking to my supervisor he advised me to do something simple (or rather hard), 1 single aspect of Confucianism. Then I told him it maybe hard due to the limited material / resources, he ended up suggesting me to do an overview of Confucianism. So yah days / weeks passed while I crammed and paniced for other things. Because he is also the "big man" who is in charge of IB in general during this time (IB interviews for other grades) it's almost impossible to find him.

ok the problem I have right now is that, I changed my topic to somewhere in the lines of:

Can Confucianism be considered as a religion?

I thought / have, talked about religion and how we define religion. Confucianism in different countries such as China / Japan and various things. Like how in China there are temples / "statues" of him, much like Buddhism. And the fact that Buddha is believed to be human before, shows that it's not necessarily worshiping of gods but people as well..

But my problem is that the more I think of it the more it seems to border line "World Religions" than philosophy. I'm not sure how I'm going to continue, and I can't seem to contact my supervisor via email either (he hasn't replied in few weeks, and not only me, other people as well) so it's rather frustrating. So I was wondering if someone can help and shed some light. If this won't work maybe help me figure out a plausible topic.

I don't know much about confucianism, but I think that your topic is more about religion than philosophy. But it might be possible to keep it philosophical, even though it could be difficult.

Try to clarify what one means with religion and evaluate all the arguments! Our teacher tells us that that's what most students fail to do. Maybe you could bring in a view of some philosopher? There ought to be someone suitable...

Good luck!

[quote name='Gizmo' post='35688' date='Feb 5 2009, 05:37 AM']I'm not sure how I'm going to continue, and I can't seem to contact my supervisor via email either (he hasn't replied in few weeks, and not only me, other people as well) so it's rather frustrating.[/quote]

Don't you see your supervisor in school?