Extended Essay - Lang A1

Neon007

I guess you are in the first year. In that case, there should be no problem of changing your topic in order to get a better investigation. You just need to plan your time and I reccommend you to work hard in the beginning cause that will make it much easier later. If you still have a lot of time until your first draft is due, then it is probablya good idea.

I also changed my topic many times and I think it is a normal thing.

Btw. Wrong forum

Capa...!

I changed my topic at the beginning of IB2, in September. Everyone was supposed to have written their EE outlines over summer and I hadn't. I still finished in December, and handed it in on time.

There was one classmate who changed her question even later than I did, and she was doing a psychology EE on the effects of war on a certain age-group of girls, so she had to conduct interviews and research everything again. She did okay as well. As long as you don't change your topic a week before your EE is due, I think it's fine.

[quote name='Capa' post='34511' date='Jan 24 2009, 02:01 PM']Hmm.. We did not even begin thinking about the EE before IB2.
Our previous coordinator (which we made sure got removed) said that we should not worry about the essay in IB1.[/quote]
That is such a contradictory statement. You said your previous IBC (who got fired, therefore implying he/she was not apt at his/her job) said you should not worry about the EE in IB1. That means you SHOULD worry about it in IB1... Most IBCs suggest you write the first EE draft the summer between IB1 and IB2 as the workload significantly increases during IB2.

OP - you are collecting data for a languages EE or what? (this is the languages forum) :) It really depends on what subject you're writing on, how much time you're willing to spend per day, and when your internal deadline is. If you have no experiments to conduct and you think that you'll be dedicated to the task, then yes, your EE will be complete and well written. (But like Vvi said, don't change your topic 1-2 weeks before the deadline)

[quote name='Neon007' post='34469' date='Jan 24 2009, 08:05 PM']Hey Guys,I am currently still working on my EE and i was wondering just as i was collecting data if i were to change my topic at this stage would i finish a complete and good EE?[/quote]
There is good advice above. It all depends on where you are in the course. If you're in IB1- go for it. If you're in IB2, think very carefully about it.

Also, think about why you're changing. Do you not like your research question or don't like the whole topic? Be careful you're not confusing the latter for the former. Speaking from a history perspective, it could just be you've made your question too broad/narrow/boring and you just need to rejig that slightly. Believe me,that's a lot less work than starting from scratch again!

[quote name='Irene' date='Jan 24 2009, 08:44 PM' post='34517']
That is such a contradictory statement. You said your previous IBC (who got fired, therefore implying he/she was not apt at his/her job) said you should not worry about the EE in IB1. That means you SHOULD worry about it in IB1... Most IBCs suggest you write the first EE draft the summer between IB1 and IB2 as the workload significantly increases during IB2.

Yes I agree that the EE should begin in IB1. However, our previous coordinator did not say that it was neccessary, and he was wrong.
The topic starter has already began EE, so I think it is not a problem to change topic now when there still is a lot of time left.