Help me on procedures.

maojijirou

Hi everyone! I'm really in trouble!

I am suppose to hand in my Extended Essay last Monday, but I really had trouble with my supervisor... I am stucked with my work and I need a help!

I handed in the first draft copy last October... During the session, I contacted my supervisor several times and he was really chill (that's what I thought back then).. Then he told me to come to visit at his office to talk about the EE, since our schedule didn't really match, the only time I had was to visit him early (8:30am) morning on Wednesday. I went there... He talks to me about something very general then tell me to go home 3 minutes after... I asked him if he read my work and he confessed that he didn't had time..Well he said..next time then... the next Wednesday I went to his office...same thing... He has done that more than 5 times.....On the last day of the last session, we had an appointment. He promised me that he was going to read my work...Well he was not even in his office..I waited him over 1 hour then I went to see my principal. The principal called him and reminded him if he forgot about me...He said to me in the phone...I'm on my knees to pray your pardon... He promised to send my work back the Tuesday after that... Then I went home happily... Well... during the entire winter vacation (over 1 month) I didn't receive any message from him... somehow I thought he was dead... So I wrote him to ask him if he received my work, to say Merry X-mas, then Happy New Year..then nothing happened... So I mailed him saying that if he's too busy, I'd prefer change supervisor since I really need to start working...Still no answer...
A few days ago, I went to the time that he told me he would be there 7:30 am... It was even dark outside when I left home... He was not there...I waited over 2 hours... I sent him an e-mail to ask if he was fine.. no answer...So I finally decided to call him on the afternoon... He said hiii how are you like nothing happened... And when I said something like aren't we suppose to meet each other this morning he was saying..:ohhhhhh that's true, well I had some trouble with my car... Well I asked him when I could get my work... He told me monday morning... I said I don't know if I can trust him anymore..and he avoid the subject by saying that if I want my work to be read, that'll be on next monday... (He was suppose to go to a somewhat conference for the school on that weekend)..Well now we are Wednesday again...And I still didn't get nothing from him...

My principal told me that he's the only person who can supervise a EE in philosophy..the other one already got 5 or 6 students.. and I must have a supervisor for EE...

I am really angry and I don't know what to do... He's still my philosophy teacher and I have still my 2 essays in his hands...
In our educational system... we are penalized by the IB program and the only chance to get our grades back was on the finally IB grads... Which means that somehow...the rest of my life is in his hand...

If I am too hard with him he may penalize my entire year (since the principal says that normally his students get good grades in final IB evaluations)... He already doesn't like me and I'm stuck with this...

I'm really interested in the subject that i've chosen..but I've receive 0 advice from my supervisor and I feel lost...I know that the maximum that I can expect from him is a .."well good good" he wouldnt tell me if it is not good even if my work sucks... since it's already too late and he doesn't want things to get complicated again..(I know I won't fail my EE..but still...)

Please tell me how to do an philosophy essay...

I'm working on Confucius, my research question is : Is the noble man of Confucius' education outmoded for the modern society?

I wanted to create a hexagonal diagram which shows the six important moral values and the six important field of study of a noble man. Then explain the importance of the two qualities: humanity and customs. But it seems to me now a little bit off track.. I saw on the other suggested topics that they sounds very very deep .... I'm not very good in philosophy generally... I regret so much of working on this... T.T...otherwise I won't be with this guy!!!

I need to know if my approach is okay...is my question too general?
Also, I need to know if I'm allowed to put subtitles in my work..

Please help me!! T.T Two years of hardworking are going to be ruined by this guy... I'm sure if I can finish my IB I'll spite on his face...but if I can't....T.T please help me!!

:[~

Gosh your philospphy teacher is the most adominable, stupid, irresponsible teacher I've ever heard about. How can he even be a TEACHER let alone teach IB?!?!?!?!?!
Sorry I know nothing about Confucius. But I think it's impossible to get a great mark for your EE if you don't have a supervisor. You need a supervisor, a proper one.
I would suggest you to see your principal again (take your parents with you) and complain to him about your situation. Tell him how irresponsible he is and insist on changing supervisors and swapping philosphy classes if there's an alternative one. This is highly inappropriate!

Oh my GOD your superviser sounds worse than mine; my eco teacher hasn't been reading my kinda desperate e-mails for 2 months now, but at least she was willing to help me out when we were at school.

I don't know much about Confucius either, but maybe for your topic you could narrow it down to two values of a noble man that Confucius said were most important or something? I don't think your topic is too general but then I really don't know anything in philosophy, so yeah... :)

Couldn't you go and ask another philosophy teacher to have a talk with you? Don't give him/her your outline and ask him/her to read over it as that might be too much, but then tell the teacher that you need some help with EE, tell him/her your topic, how you'd approach it and ask for some opinion. That'd be better than nothing I think, and hopefully your other teacher will be nice enough.

Take it to someone else to read. Find someone outside of school.

My classmate had the same problem with her supervisor, he was supervising 3 EE's. She didn't choose him for her supervisor, but since the other ones had too many and he taught psychology, she got him.

She ended up getting in contact with a psychologist through one of her mother's friends, and had an interview with her. The psychologist also read her EE and gave her comments.

It's perfectly fine to have other people read your essay, the rule in our school is that you can only have one school teacher look at your first draft. But anyone outside school is fair game.

Also ask your classmates to read it. They can point out some faults (and at the very least, spelling mistakes and grammatical errors).

Thank you everyone to answer me soo quick!

The principal is kind tired of me... I understand that he really has nothing to do with this... Even if he does..well it can't really help when the guy start to hate me..T.T

A lot of students had an appointment with him to talk about the non-philosophic object analysis... and he was not there.. I'm so happy that I didn't go to meet him...(I was too tired so I went to sleep xDDD It was 3 am when I post this post last night) He put a time that he knows he would probably not be there.. it was the time of "departmental meeting" the time that he should meet me... I think he's doing this on purpose...

If I ask another teacher now..it'd be extra work for him...I don't think anyone would like to do that in school... and I don't know any philosophy students...who speaks french..(my text is done in french)

I'm really not good in philosophy... I just can't catch what he says... I know the directives should not be too general but I got really bad grades for my both essays...

I would really love to find an example text of philosophy EE.. I googled but there's just nothing...

It seems that nobody had this... T.T your classes sound sooo fun!! I'd love to take Japanese and Chinese.... :)

Isn't TOK close enough to philosophy? I know it's only an area of it, but it's enough for me. I'm not into debating why I'm on the planet and why we do what we do and know what we know.

I'm thinking of studying another language next year in university in addition to French, the choices were Russian, Chinese and Japanese. If I do, I'm going with Russian since I already know the alphabet. Japanese is apparently harder than Chinese.

Look out for me in the Secret Service, drinking vodka with ex-KGB agents and learning Russian military secrets. :)

Edited by Vvi

Japanese is NOT harder than Chinese! lol Personally I think Japanese is way easier than Chinese - there's less Chinese characters to remember (I'm already suffering with the 400 Chinese characters I have to memorize for Jap B SL), it's easier to pronounce and there's no complicated accent problem. Apparently for Chinese, a word's meaning changes depending on where you put the accent on when you pronounce it, so yeah O_o AND I'm a Korean, so I have an advantage of speaking a language really close to Japanese as mother tongue already :)

Er...but you don't have to worry about your EE being in French until you actually write it up, right? Why don't you write your outline up in English first and find someone who knows about philosophy and/or Confucius? Try e-mailing some university professors too - you can find their e-mail address on the school homepage......I doubt they'd reply, but at least you can have a go.

:) I see the admin changed the title... my supervisor is not taking a little bit easy but wayyy to easy xDDD
I don't put any hope on him right now... I will work on my own and go see another teacher of the philosophy department... I'm sure someone would help me in front of such an injustice... otherwise why they'd make us read the Republic... ;) (for ToK... T.T)
I've reformulated my research question and start all most over last week..(3 hours sleep everyday..ZzZzZ)
I could not get that thing working cuz my research question was not good... reason why we need a supervisor for! I'd really love to find a sample EE in philosophy... i've searched everywhere!

I think Japanese is easier to learn because there are regular grammar rules... In Chinese it's more..put the words in the right order..but don't ask why! If there's Chinese related question..I'm available for help..=D (yea i'm Chinese... :( ) Add my msn: [email protected]