Internal Assessment

mj526

I'm comparing the Thirteen Days movie with the book, and seeing which one is more realistic and factual. I'll also be looking how they each, separately, compare to the actual event.

However, I'm still unsure on how I should go about it, and possible sources I should use.

Any help on this would be great!

I'm not sure if this is the best of topics for your History IA. I think the primary flaws with this the lack of real sources. I mean, you're comparing a book and a movie. If you do think you can find a way to critically analyze it from a historic standpoint, go for it, but I think it will be quite tough.

Technically, you can do anything you want, I mean someone at my school did his IA on Star Wars... It didn't score very well (at all).

Consider what sources you would use, and whether or not you would be able make to fulfill the requirements stated by the criteria.

EDIT: The aim of the IA I previously mentioned was to discuss how the various Star Wars movies were allegorical to the events of World War II.

Edited by flsweetheart422

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with flsweetheart422. To be honest, it does not sound like a real history investigation to compare a book and a film. It should be more historical by doing a lot of research and then decide what facts are important, what are not important and then analyse the events based on such gathered information. I think the source problem is not the greaest in this, but the whole idea seems to be taken more from a language subject?

I have to agree with the first two answers. Even though the topic seems very interesting, I think that comparing a film with a book is not "deep" enough for a historical investigation which is required for the IA. But I think you could still work on this topic using another research question etc....

• 1 month later...
I'm comparing the Thirteen Days movie with the book, and seeing which one is more realistic and factual. I'll also be looking how they each, separately, compare to the actual event.

However, I'm still unsure on how I should go about it, and possible sources I should use.

Any help on this would be great!

My History IA i compared the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan to primary sources regarding those events. my opinion, either change your topic or make it so you are not comparing to a book but rather to primary sources. the problem with comparing to a book is that in essence you are comparing a peice of fiction to another peice of fiction and that has very little to do with the subject of history. better to just scrap the book and compare the movie to ALOT of primary sources.

regards, Martin

Yes, I totally agree with the others. There is no way you can score well on a history IA by comparing a book and a movie. (where's the history in that?). Now if you were to investigate, as in Martin's sense, the historical merit of a "historical" movie, now that would be more promising. I'm still confused, when did film become an acceptable topic for History IA?

Linux film has long been an acceptable topic. They are an integral part of history, just as much sources as your "primary sources". Of course they serve as sources for different things. Investigating films is a great way of analyzing the image portrayed in popular life during that era of some events. You might as well ask when did for example speeches come an acceptable topic for History IA.

Anyway, as above expressed, it is recommendable that you compare a film and some source about the period the film is about for your IA. That way you can make sure you are analyzing the correct things in terms of history.

I understand what you mean, Scade. However, let me bring up a very relevant example- Extended Essays. While speeches are acceptable material to cite as primary sources, films are not. What films tend to do is dramatize the truth, in order to achieve a dramatic effect. If you are talking about documentaries, they are a different story. Nonetheless, even these tend to be just broad overviews, condensed and simplified so the average person could understand. The only example where I could think of a video as useful historical information would be recorded versions of speeches, since they provide us with things that transcripts do not (ie/ Hitler's body language).

Agreed, but remember, all of these were made in reference to the original post. It refers to a movie "Thirteen Days", and there are also references to people doing IAs on Star Wars. Also, my original argument wasn't against using films as primary source, but against doing an IA on a film. One should read whole posts before one criticizes :) . Also, I couldn't care less if I was wrong, I was merely expressing my confusion.

Edited by LinuxBeta

when did film become an acceptable topic for History IA?
While speeches are acceptable material to cite as primary sources, films are not.

You can do an IA on a film, and films are very good sources. That's been established. I did read the thread.

One should read whole posts before one criticizes

One should remember what they wrote before one accuses of not reading.

expressing my confusion

Express confusion in question from, not authoritative declaration form.

Someone close this thread...