EE Subject appropriate? Does anyone have any ideas to help me extend my EE?

ssgoktas

HI ^_^

my complete subject is:

what is the function of the language 'Nadsat' in the plot of the book 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess.

I do not know whether anyone has read the book but I'm quite sure that most of you have watched the movie directed by Stanley Kubric.

My first supervisor told me that my subject had an "umpf" in it which meant that it was somewhat unique. But right now I cannot be sure whether it was a good choice. So what do you think?

And people who have read the book and gave a little thought to the existence of words such as "yahma" , "malenky", "appy polly loggy" and so on, please let me know what you think the purpose was in creating a whole new language for a book.
THANK YOU ALL

This is one of my favorite books in the whole wide world! First you should know everything about nadsat. Did you know it is a combination of russian and english??? You should mention it somewhere in your EE. The purpose of nadsat? Well, they are several. First of all, only teenagers in the story spoke nadsat, and the language couldn´t be understood by adults, so this may lead you to think that it is a feature to isolate themselves, to make them different from everyone else, since not everyone can understand what they are saying unless they belong to this same culture. Another purpose of nadsat may be to indicate the control Alex has over his decisions. I don´t know if this was your case, but at the beginning of the book, our teacher told us that it was very hard to understand what was going on in the story because of the intense use of nadsat, and that this will change throughout the book. As the story goes on, Alex starts using nadsat less, and less. Also, as the story goes on, Alex starts losing power over his droogs, and later he even loses his free will. So there may be a positive relationship between this two things. I think there are like a million more purposes for nadsat, but hope that helps a bit .

[quote name='Merit Cullen' post='33540' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:52 PM']Another purpose of nadsat may be to indicate the control Alex has over his decisions. I don´t know if this was your case, but at the beginning of the book, our teacher told us that it was very hard to understand what was going on in the story because of the intense use of nadsat, and that this will change throughout the book. As the story goes on, Alex starts using nadsat less, and less. Also, as the story goes on, Alex starts losing power over his droogs, and later he even loses his free will. So there may be a positive relationship between this two things. I think there are like a million more purposes for nadsat, but hope that helps a bit .[/quote]

Thank you soo much for replying in such a short notice:D I never looked at it from this perspective this is just too great !! ^_^ )
But yes I did know its a mixture of russian and english and also has hints of cockney rhyming slang in it :S

I really love my subject but I have to admit it's a little hard to write I mean I'm not a linguistic expert after all.

And WOW! you studied C.O. at school? thats incredible!

[quote name='ssgoktas' post='33541' date='Jan 13 2009, 02:22 PM']Thank you soo much for replying in such a short notice:D I never looked at it from this perspective this is just too great !! :S )
But yes I did know its a mixture of russian and english and also has hints of cockney rhyming slang in it ^_^

I really love my subject but I have to admit it's a little hard to write I mean I'm not a linguistic expert after all.

And WOW! you studied C.O. at school? thats incredible![/quote]

Haha, I'm glad it helped, and yeah, I had a really good teacher when we read this book, so everyone in my class ended loving it. If you have any doubts, or you need more help, just ask :dash: .