Chinese literature (English translations) suggestions needed!!

Sheepsie

1 hour ago, Sheepsie said:

Hey guys! I'd like to read some Chinese literature, but don't know where to start. Could you give me some suggestions?

(I can't really read chinese very well, so hopefully one with english translations :) )

The Three Body Problem is an awesome book! It is the first book in the trilogy Remembrance of Earth's Past

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShootingStar16 said:

The Three Body Problem is an awesome book! It is the first book in the trilogy Remembrance of Earth's Past

The summary seems really interesting! And I am all for sci-fi :) How was the literary style of the translation, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'm kind of wondering how you found out about it? (I could maybe find more books like this through the same sources hehe)

12 minutes ago, Sheepsie said:

The summary seems really interesting! And I am all for sci-fi :) How was the literary style of the translation, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'm kind of wondering how you found out about it? (I could maybe find more books like this through the same sources hehe)

It was a really good translation! Super easy to read (some translations of books can sound incredibly awkward :/). 

I found out about this book from a course I took during my first year of university. I had to read it for that class so yeah. 

• Like 1

Just now, ShootingStar16 said:

It was a really good translation! Super easy to read (some translations of books can sound incredibly awkward :/). 

I found out about this book from a course I took during my first year of university. I had to read it for that class so yeah. 

I'm on board with this one then! Just gotta find out how to get a copy...

Sounds like it was a really fun class! Judging by the book you got to read at least, haha. 

Just now, Sheepsie said:

I'm on board with this one then! Just gotta find out how to get a copy...

Sounds like it was a really fun class! Judging by the book you got to read at least, haha. 

You can get it at your local Chapters/Indigo/Coles (I've noticed that you seem to be from Canada). 

Yeah it was a fun class! We got to read a wide variety of stuff! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheepsie said:

Awesome :)) 

What other stuff did you read for that class? and what class was it? I might even consider taking it in uni.

We read works on political theory/philosophy in general (like Foucault, Rousseau), plays (Life of GalileoOedipus, Hamlet), a graphic novel (Watchmen), and a bunch of other cool stuff. It was this 18 credit course that lasted the whole school year. 

16 hours ago, ShootingStar16 said:

We read works on political theory/philosophy in general (like Foucault, Rousseau), plays (Life of GalileoOedipus, Hamlet), a graphic novel (Watchmen), and a bunch of other cool stuff. It was this 18 credit course that lasted the whole school year. 

Anything you might recommend for those who want to read political theory/philosophy?

33 minutes ago, Sheepsie said:

Anything you might recommend for those who want to read political theory/philosophy?

Hmm I liked The Communist Manifesto (I read this for another class and keep in mind that I'm pretty left leaning in terms of politics, so of course I'm biased), The Republic (also read this for another class, but it's really deep and it messes with your mind so much at the end) and anything by Foucault if you're up for an extremely difficult read. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShootingStar16 said:

Hmm I liked The Communist Manifesto (I read this for another class and keep in mind that I'm pretty left leaning in terms of politics, so of course I'm biased), The Republic (also read this for another class, but it's really deep and it messes with your mind so much at the end) and anything by Foucault if you're up for an extremely difficult read. 

Thanks for all the suggestions! I better get reading!