Biology EE: Cancer + Plants. Opinion needed please

biochem

Plants:

The effects of cigarette smoke on Patuna plants. I already did this topic for a science fair in 8th grade. However, the idea is still not developed in the science community. My results showed a significant effect on Plant growth, characterized by withering of leaves and even decaying of roots. Very interesting. But the topic now seems more complex. The gas exchange, photosynthesis interruption and overall complexity are really difficult to summarize in 4k words. Andthe topic is constantly going back and forth betwen chemistry and biology, a dangerous gamble, that should be distinct not ambiguous.

Cancer:

Recently, the notion of cancer as an evolutionary aspect of humanity came up. that its a mere mutation or evolution which is currently dysfunctional. Almost like a genius device the body comes up with, that is out of control and not entirely mastered. Its an opposite view on cancer, instead of it being virulent, its a beautiful aspect of evolution which we have yet to master. its simple. You smoke, you get lung cancer. You brake a joint, cancer appears there. But the topic is quiet broad. and not only that, but I am confused as to what kind of experiment I could carry out since that is one of the most important things. Its also new enough that there isnt as much as I would like on the topic. and the overall topic is EXTREMELY difficult to grasp, so I would be studying medicine at a very high level. I dont mind it much, I want to be an oncologist.

Please post me your thoughts. very much appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you very much :S

That extended essay topic sounds amazing and so interesting, the fact that it goes between the chrmistry and biological aspects may prove a bit of a problem. But remember in Bio we do learn abit about Chem so you could always play that card. That topic sounds 'A' material and very interesting. Draw up a mind map of all your ideas and see if you can fit that into 4000 words.

• 1 month later...

hey i just finished my EE in bio, i did it relating both the topics in one
except i choose a specific plant and related it to the treatment of cancer
your extended essay topic sounds great, my bio supervisr says it is not neccessary to reach 4k
buh be sumwhre near 3500 and that should get you within your criteria's
regarding your experiments, why don't cha use plants to prove the healing power they show towards cancer

Farah Alibhai

You guys are extremely nice ^_^

If you could please, respond to my new solid topic in Bio, I would greatly appreciate it since I havent had much feedback -_-

[url="http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5082"]http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5082[/url]

* this topic rejected due to carcinogens and bio/chem uncertainty.