IB Options

meraki_yugen

Hello! I'd like to ask for your opinions for this combination of subjects.

HL's: English Literature, Maths, Physics

SL's: Chemsitry, ITGS, Spanish Ab Initio

I intend to study Physics (or possibly Aerospace Engineering) at uni as I love the subject and I'm quite good at it, and pretty much all uni's require Physics and Math at Higher Level. What I wanted to ask is:

•Would taking English Literature at HL instead of Chemistry at HL put me at a disadvantage? I've heard that although Chemistry isn't required candidates studying it are desired, (I'm quite good at Chemistry as well, but I have no idea how difficult HL is compared to SL as I've heard that they're similar) and I also have no intention of doing anything related to English after the IB, although taking it at HL would make the IB easier for me I presume.

•Would taking ITGS put me at a disadvantage? I've heard it is a soft subject, but it's the only subject I've done at GCSE (Edexcel ICT) in Group 3. 

Thank you.

On 7/5/2018 at 3:35 PM, meraki_yugen said:

Hello! I'd like to ask for your opinions for this combination of subjects.

HL's: English Literature, Maths, Physics

SL's: Chemsitry, ITGS, Spanish Ab Initio

I intend to study Physics (or possibly Aerospace Engineering) at uni as I love the subject and I'm quite good at it, and pretty much all uni's require Physics and Math at Higher Level. What I wanted to ask is:

•Would taking English Literature at HL instead of Chemistry at HL put me at a disadvantage? I've heard that although Chemistry isn't required candidates studying it are desired, (I'm quite good at Chemistry as well, but I have no idea how difficult HL is compared to SL as I've heard that they're similar) and I also have no intention of doing anything related to English after the IB, although taking it at HL would make the IB easier for me I presume.

•Would taking ITGS put me at a disadvantage? I've heard it is a soft subject, but it's the only subject I've done at GCSE (Edexcel ICT) in Group 3. 

Thank you.

Hi, 

This really depends on the country you are applying to and the university. If you are applying to the UK, they mostly care about your HL subjects. Since you want to study a science degree, it would look better to do 3 science-related subjects. But then again, chemistry isn't required, so they would not dismiss you just because you take English HL. If you have good grades and a good personal statement, you should not be at a disadvantage because you take English and not Chem HL. 

I think you should take into account your strengths and weaknesses. If you are better at English than Chemistry, you might want to take English. Universities may have points requirements for HL and your total score, so you want to make sure you meet the requirements of the offer. There's no point in taking Chem HL and getting a 3 and then not getting accepted into a university because the HL minimum was a 5. 

Taking ITGS in SL will not put you at a disadvantage, as universities do not care too much about SL subjects. The vital subjects are HL.

I recommend you take whatever your university requires you to (maths and physics) and then choose the subject you will perform the best at and will enjoy the most as your third HL. And don't bother trying to make your IB "easier" or less busy - you will have loads to do regardless of what subjects you choose.

Good luck!